Ljiljana
Ten God phrases in Serban language that you can’t find in textbooks

You can find this article on my blog as well.

Serbs are pretty religious people and that is why it is no wonder to find phrases related to God in colloquial language. I will list ten very common ones and remember that there are also variations of them in accordance to different part of Serbia. Every phrase is followed by an explanation and examples.

1. koštati Boga i oca - exactly the same meaning as in English „to cost an arm and a leg“; something that is very expensive, maybe more than one could imagine.

<em>Komšija je kupio nov auto. Kaže da košta Boga i oca.</em>

2. pričati, ostati, šetati... Bogu i svetu - to talk, stay somewhere, walk for a very long time;

<em>Ne volim da ga sretnem. Priča o politici Bogu i svetu.</em>

3. uhvatiti Boga za bradu - to consider yourself invincible, privileged, better than others; maybe something like „to think someone is God's own cousin“

<em>Viđam ga često po kafanama. Ponaša se bahato prema svima - kao da je uhvatio Boga za bradu.</em>

4. dar od Boga - gift from above; something very hard or impossible to get or obtain unless hire forces help you out a bit;

<em>Nakon nekoliko godina su dobili ćerku, kao da je dar od Boga.</em>

5. Bogu iza nogu - to be very distant;

<em>Hoćemo li da odemo peške do tamo? - Ma, ne! Oni su Bogu iza nogu, na drugom kraju grada.</em>

6. Bog zaboravi na nekoga - something very distant in time, so distant that even God has forgotten about it;

<em>Mama, odoh do drugara. - Dobro, samo nemoj da Bog zaboravi na tebe!</em>

7. biti Bogom dan - similar meaning as phrase number 3, but the slight difference is that in this case you are very special right from the beginning whereas in phrase number three you had to make an effort to achieve something great, but you have too idealistic perception of yourself; a God-given right

<em>Leži i ništa ne radi po ceo dan, kao da je Bogom dan.</em>

8. ~ do Boga - same as „do neba“, which means in great quantity, for example to love or to be dumb; it might be compared with „to the moon and back“;

<em>Volim svoju decu do Boga!</em>

<em>Objašnjavam mu nekoliko puta i ne vredi. Glup je do Boga.</em>

9. Bog zna - God only knows! what, when, how something will happen or how long might something last;

<em>Moj muž je otišao na poslovni sastanak. Bog zna koliko će ostati tamo.</em>

10. pokazati nekom Boga - to reprimand, to beat someone up as a substitute for explanation or discussion in a dispute, row, misunderstanding etc; usually used with possessive pronoun (his/her/their God);

<em>Deca su slomila prozor. Pokazaću im njihovog Boga.</em>

Mostly, they represent something of higher level, great amount, quantity, quality using God as suprime being and bearing in mind that there is no better/higher/nicer/more beautiful than him. These phrases are commonly found in everyday speech and literature.

I hope this helps a bit! :)

Aug 15, 2015 10:18 AM
Comments · 8

Thank you, Ljiljana and Vladimir, for giving us all these examples!

August 18, 2015

Very interesting even for a Serbian native. However, what about: Po ceo Bogovetni dan, and Dosadio i Bogu i narodu? And I would like to add for number 4: Bog dao, Bog uzeo.

August 15, 2015

Sina, Ljiljana has already explained it and her explanation is excellent. I can only add that the phrase Bog dao, bog uzeo, you may use when someone has some talent of a great value and at the same time hasn't some usual trait. Na primer: On je virtuoz na violini, ali ne ume ni ekser da zakuca. However, usual meaning is similar to the English proverb Easy come, easy go.

August 17, 2015

Phrase "dosaditi Bogu i narodu" has another form - "dosaditi Bogu i svetu". Both are in usage. It means that someone is extremely boring, especially with certain topic that a person keeps repeating all the time. For example:

Ovi novinari su dosadni sa fotografijama poznatih. Dosadili su i Bogu i svetu (narodu).

"Po ceo bogovetni dan" means all the time and it has conotations of being irritated by that:

Četiri momka u Kotoru ispijaju pivo po ceo bogovetni dan.

Moja drugarica igra igrice na kompjuteru po ceo bogovetni dan.

"Bog dao, bog uzeo" is not the same as phrase 4, but it has some similarities. In this case it means that you have gained something very easily and in the same way you have lost it. For example, if you have some gift and if you misuse it, it somehow disappears. It is usually related to things that we have no possibility to change.

Bila je zdrava kao dete, a kako je starija ima sve više zdravstvenih problema. Bog dao, bog uzeo.

Nekoć sam pisala po 10 pesama dnevno, a više nemam taj dar. Bog dao, bog uzeo.

This one is more like an answer to some unfortunate condition.

August 17, 2015

Thank you Ljiljana for writing this article. This is very useful. Many of these phrases are new to me. I just wrote an exercise, using these idioms.

@ Vladimir. Thank you for your “addition”. Could you give us an example sentence, please?

@ Andi: I agree with Ljiljana and Vladimir that these are not proverbs :)

August 17, 2015
Show more