David Recine
Learning Article : Reading To Improve Your English Skills

Discuss the Article : Reading To Improve Your English Skills

<a href='/article/532/reading-to-improve-your-english-skills' target='_blank'>Reading To Improve Your English Skills</a>

Reading is a wonderful tool for improving your English. In addition to increasing your reading aptitude, it can also be used to improve your writing, speaking and listening abilities, while giving you important insight into natural, native speech. In this article, learn some powerful tips to help guide you as you learn English through the written word.

Aug 17, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 41

good advice.

August 17, 2015

Here's a good resource for reading: www.readtheory.org, very interesting article for the different levels and most importantly that they write a good high quality literary style and not dry computer language or bored author that already tired from his work on writing new texts .

Now I read mainly specialized blogs such as lifehack.org or blog of Brian Tracy and similar but I started to read aloud the subtitles to the famous English and American movies and serials on the site www.ORORO.tv (I read aloud the subtitles and then listened as the characters in the film or the series pronounce the same and in this consistently I worked with each frame of the film).

August 17, 2015

Thanks a lot :)))

August 17, 2015

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. @Aegis--- yeah, I think that's a good point--- I may write a follow-up article based on your suggestions. @Vladimir--- I use ORORO with my students, but I hadn't thought of using the other sites you mentioned. I think I will now, though!

August 20, 2015

Very good article written by David on the benefits of reading and the inclusion appropriate links for students to further their scope of reading materials. I'd just like to add a couple of other points regarding the benefits and possible pitfalls. We all know the general benefits that reading brings to students learning English, acquiring new vocabulary, seeing grammar in use, understanding sentence structure, understanding tone and style etc. to name just a few. What is also important for ESL students is getting to know the cultural aspects of the English language - as language is not only a way of communicating, but also a part of the culture which it's derived from. The effect of this is sublime but hugely influential on how ideas are expressed through culture, the better we can understand a culture, the better we understand its expressed ideas and opinions. It's a symbiosis between language and culture, and reading is one of the keys to unlocking the potential for learning and better understanding of both,

I commend David's advice on improving your 'Speaking' and 'Listening' skills by reading. Just pay attention when reading out aloud, as speaking is the act of generating sound at varied pitches with stress and intonation and occasional pauses to form words. Therefore it is essential you have a reference to be able to self correct - we all know one of the frustrating aspects of the English language is that what is written is not always what is pronounced or can be pronounced in various ways. As suggested, having an audio reference is a good way to practising speaking and pronunciation. I would also suggest recording yourself reading out aloud and playing back your recording to be able to self correct (as painful as your voice may sound when played back) given that you have a reference to imitate.

I hope my tuppence worth has expanded on David's article and given further insight for students learning the English language.

Keep on reading

October 13, 2018
Show more