[Deleted]
Kanji help! Different pronounciations for a kanji?

So I recently started learning the kanji and I'm confused whether the book gave me the right pronounciation or not. I'm learning numbers right now and the book told me that the pronounciation for 三 is (み) however I noticed that sometimes others say it as (さん). I'm having trouble with the same thing with 七. According to the book it is (しち) but I've heard others say (なな). Thanks and I hope you can help me!

Aug 26, 2015 12:57 AM
Comments · 3

Ah, that is the confusing thing about Japanese. There are different ways to count things/people.

Example, 三つ(みっつ) This is the counter for small objects. So, when counting small objects, you do not use さん、but you use み

With (7)七、 same concept. Example of the following concepst, words with "七”

七つ (ななつ) = counting small objects

七百(ななひゃく)= the number 700

七時 (しちじ)= 7 hours

七分 (ななふん) = 7 minutes

七さい (ななさい) = 7 years old

七日 (なのか) = The 7th (date)

七月 (しちがつ) = July (month )

七人 (しちにん) = 7 people ALSO some people use ななにん, might be up to personal prefernce, not sure on this.

With kanji there are many different readings, and also many different ways to count things/people/places. All you can do is really remember them, and try not to get confused. There are some songs to help you remember on youtube. 

I hope I didn't confuse you more. I am studying Japanese aswell, and this is what I know so far C:

がんばってね

August 26, 2015

It depends on the word! i

In this case,  f.ex. 三個 (さんこ) 3日(みっか). I suggest you learn the most used words / kanji compounds at the same time you learn the reading, writing and meaning, it will help also for the meaning to stick out a little more.

Hope to be of help!

August 26, 2015

It is just a different way of saying number. That is my understanding, I am not really sure about the rules. Hopefully somebody else will be able to explain much more indep.

August 26, 2015