Elia Murru
Studying in the U.S. Americans are not friendly as you might expect

I studied for one year in the U.S. as a graduate student. My idea of Americans was: cool and friendly people. This was true, people were generally kind if I asked information on the streets. Then the class, the first day was a bit weird. I was the only foreigner out of 20 students. No one said hello to each other before the class, no one said goodbye after. I thought, maybe everyone is shy, but then things did not change much after the class. I ended up taking six classes, got friends with only 2 americans, the other guys were mostly Chinese and Korean. Very nice people, I was suprised in a positive way, but Americans did disappoint me.

What is your experience as a foreigner, studying in the U.S.?

Aug 29, 2015 8:51 AM
Comments · 7

I studied in the US and my experience is the opposite. I never met so many friendly people in my whole life as I did back in the U.S. Such friendly, smiley and polite people I should say. Wish Brazilians were like them, but here no one says Hi or gives a smile to strangers. Brazilians have " a stereotype " fame that they're friendly, open and extrovert. That only happens when you're familiar with the person or when you're a white foreigner. If you are a mere strange Brazilian, then you feel the coldness in people and I didn't feel that while I was in the U.S 

August 29, 2015

Hey Elia,

I think your perceptions about Americans are all wrong. In terms of a class setting, people don't generally all say hi and bye when entering and leaving the class unless they know each other. I think most countries are like this as well, other than the initial manadatory greetings you need to get to know people before expecting such friendly gestures.

What you experienced is a classroom type setting. When people are there to work and learn, then the atmosphere is very different than if you went out to socialize. People usually have this idea of friendly Americans, which is true when they are on vacation. However when they are trying to work, learn and live their lives then you have to actually make the effort to talk with them and get to know them. 

August 29, 2015

Oh what a coincidence. Im studying in Temple as well. Actually I totally agree with you. People are generally frinedly and kind.When it comes to personal relationship, it's another story. People here seem to like live in their own world. Maybe it's just my illusion.

August 29, 2015

Actually I have a totaly different personal experience.  I studied and lived in the US for a number of years, (I am from Greece) and the Americans in the US demolished every negative stereotype that I had about Americans.  Got to know a few of them.  Just good people, had long discussions with them, had dinner with them, went out with them to bars to play pool and have a beer. You get the picture. The guys were cool to hung out with.  The women were gorgeous,  very approachable and friendly.  Of course not every American is like that, but I am the loner type and the shy type, and I did not have a problem meeting people in the US.  I do have to say though, that was a few years ago, and it was in the Midwest.  I do not know if that makes a difference.

August 29, 2015

Maybe they just dont know each other. When I came to the university for the first time in Moscow I didnt say "hi" to anybody. And that had been happening for several month until I made the acquaintance of some students from my class.

August 29, 2015
Show more