Leslie
Questions about tattoos

I've found that many western people tend to have one or more tattoos.

In that case,I wonder why they are so crazy about doing this.Because in China,people rarely get a tattoo.Although more and more young people try having tattoos as time goes on,some Chinese take it as a bad behavior.

(Once I told my mother that I wanna have a small,cute,special tattoo,she said she would kick my ass immediately...)

If you have such a  tattoo,you may be viewed as an unfriendly guy .On the other side,you may even be declined when you look for a job.

After all,I wonder what do you think of tattoos.Is it a kind of culture,a way to show faith or just an ordinary thing?

Aug 29, 2015 11:44 AM
Comments · 8

Some people find it cool and harmless, if the tattoos are small, cute, discreet and symbolic of something nice.

Others find them horrible. For these people, having a tattoo means that you secretly dream of associating yourself with criminals and other unsavoury characters.

Huge or loud tattoos are usually considered a mark of antisocial behaviour or prison time.

Personally, I don't like tattoos. People change, fashions change, laws change. In most business environments you have to hide your tattoos to get a good job. In our personal and social lives, it would be too awkward to explain and justify decisions and dreams inscribed on our skin as our lives progress and change.

Also, however cute or cool, a tattoo is an ancient tradition that carries connotations of slavery, prostitution, prosecution, racism, captivity, war crimes, blind devotion etc. I wouldn't like such a mark on me.

August 29, 2015

(Joke)

A young man told his father that he wanted to get a tattoo.  The father answered, "Son, don't get a tattoo -- it's so <em>permanent</em>.  Get married instead."

August 30, 2015

Hehe, go mom. I liked her response.

Tattoos are quite the norm these days in the US, especially among young people. The idea that tattoos only belonged on soldiers, prisoners, and biker gang members is long gone. Most of the tattoos I see these days are on kids that are obviously middle-class or above. It used to be a sign that you were an outcast from polite society, now it is a sign that you are wealthy enough that you don't need to worry about future job prospects. It seems kind of self-indulgent.

I think that there are going to be a lot of middle-aged people in ten or twenty years who feel very silly about having gotten a tattoo. I'm 47 now and I am very glad that I never got one.

August 29, 2015

It is just because it is considered fashionable, cool, that is why you see a lot of people in the West having a tatoo.  When that fashion hits China you will get a lot of people having tatoos there as well. I personaly do not like tatoos.  If I want to see art I go see a painting, and If I want to remember something I write it in a notebook, or if it is realy important, I do not need to write it anywhere, because it is constantly in my mind.

August 29, 2015

I'm a Chinese and I have two tattoos on my arm and back! Of course someone think that have tattoos means bad guys in Chinese especially the old man. So I never show this to others(clothes can hide them all)!

Even though someone think it is a bad thing but I deeply believe that have tattoo is not means something bad! the tattoo on my arm is my mom's name cuz I think my mom is the best mom in the world. The tattoo on my back is means my faith what is two Chinese characters 舍得 means you must learn to put down something you can't get.

So plz don't think I am a bad guy because I have some tattoos! And cheer up with your English learning! And someone want to discuss some tattoos or other things plz text me freely If u don't mind my English is poor!

August 29, 2015
Show more