Richard-Business Eng
Professional Teacher
Do you use the word 'message' as a verb?

Recently I've noticed that I'm now using the English (E) word 'message' as a verb, e.g., "I will message you when I am free/available/ready to talk."

Today I wondered if the word is defined as a verb.
After checking a few dictionaries I learned that it is a verb (coming into use in the 90's).
This may be interesting to a native E speaker because, prior to the use of the internet and messaging programs, I never saw nor used the word as a verb.

Here's my question: "Do you use the word 'message' as a verb?"
It might be interesting to know if you use this word as a verb in English and also in your native language.

Aug 29, 2015 2:28 PM
Comments · 32

I expect you might get different responses depending on the person's age. To me it sounds perfectly fine to use it as a verb.

August 29, 2015

Yes, I do. I'm older than most people here and not at all tech-savvy, but I've recently taken to using 'message' as a verb. But only in reference to digital messages. If I click on the little envelope icon at the top of this page, I might say that I'm messaging someone.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the noun 'message' and the standard phrase to 'send a message' is still alive and well. If you scribble a note on a piece of paper destined for another person's eyes, that's sending a message. Or if you tell someone some information destined to be passed on to a third party, that's sending a message, too.

Like matter expanding to fill the available space in the universe, language expands and diversifies to meet the demands of our needs and experiences.

August 30, 2015

I'm 44 and I've used message (or text) as a verb since the 90s when I worked in the mobile phone industry. 

August 29, 2015

I've always used "message" as a verb. I had no idea that it was controversial.

Apparently the first use of "message" as a verb was in 1580 (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=message&allowed_in_frame=0), but it doesn't say how and when it became widespread.

August 29, 2015

@ Nicola... I also thought that 'message' was just a noun, until I saw it defined as a verb: 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/message?s=t

@ Paul... ow... that hurt :). Your example of 'to word' may also seem to be unusual, or at least uncommon, but it is certainly legitimate and appropriate, similar to the term 'wording' as in, "I need to change the wording of that question."

@ Aya... "Let's skype" is a great example of a noun that has been used as a verb. Thank you for your good comment.

@ Jmat... Thanks for pointing out that the word was used as a verb, dating back to the 1500's. The link that I provided above does indicate that it become more popular, or commonly used, beginning in the 90's. Great input Jmat... thanks.

August 29, 2015
Show more