andrescabero
Romanian conjugations!

I'm a native Spanish speaker (if anyone wants to practise Spanish I'm here) and I just began to learn Romanian. The most mindblowing thing is the conjugations. In Romanian there's a bunch of conjugations. Conjugations number 9, 10 and 11 end all of them in -e, how am I supposed to know if a verb belongs to 9, to 10 or to the eleventh? Do dictionaries say what conjugation it belongs to?

Aug 31, 2015 9:54 PM
Comments · 6

Andres, you need professional grammar lessons.

Then you will understand how conjugations work in real life scenarios.

December 12, 2015

I can see your point now. You're right. Even though verbs have the same ending at the infinite form, they conjugate differently. I used to think that all of these variations are just exceptions from the rule, which said there were only four groups of verbs.

I don't think dictionaries tell you which endings to apply, but maybe there are some grammar books that can help you see the pattern of each group of verbs and how to conjugate them. I suppose once you get used to the language, things will come naturally. If you know you have to say "iubesc", maybe the brain will think that the verb "a gândi" conjugates like that too, so you will automatically say "gândesc". :)

September 2, 2015

I agree with Mihaela. As a Spaniard learning Romanian, I'd recommend you not to learn verbs methodically. Just try to "feel" them, it's not that complicated. :-) Succes!

October 4, 2015

Yeah, I guess habit would work to :)

September 2, 2015

Mmm, I read that the Romanian Academy had changed it and divided into more conjugations. For example, how could I tell a verb ended in -a without the suffix -ez-, like "a asculta" from a verb ended in -a that takes the -ez- suffix, like "a cina". Another example: how do you tell a verb ended in -i that doesn't take -esc-, like "a auzi" when conjugating it from a verb ended in -i that does take it, like "a iubi"? I mean, obviously, if you have only seen the infinitive and not the conjugation :)

September 2, 2015
Show more