chen
A Question Regarding Intonation

As a non-native English speaker, I have come to realize the importance of having accurate, pleasant sounding intonation. It helps people feel the emotions contained within the messages and therefore understand them more clearly and accurately.

To help myself improve in this area, I have just started watching some videos on intonation. But I feel that men and women seem to use a different set of intonation rules. Even among men, each native speaker can have a unique intonation style. Do you agree with this observation? If so, would learning intonation from a female person make me sound slightly feminine?

Thank you for your input.

Sep 1, 2015 12:53 PM
Comments · 2

There isn't a separate intonation for men and women like in some languages, but many people use different styles of speech. It's more about the situation they're in than the gender of the speaker. An academic presentation would obviously sound more serious and formal than a teenager ranting about her day in a vlog. Mind the context, but don't worry about learning English from women!

September 3, 2015

Yeah i think when you use the second Language you learn in keep in touch with others, you will not feel all the feeling or emotions when you do that with your tongue language.  Maybe after you became advanced in the language you will find it filled more with feelings. I think more practice will help 

September 3, 2015