Matteo Cip
The beauty of math

A lot of people think math is a boring subject and consider it as mix of numbers and formulas. According to this interpretation math is a completelly passive subject and it can't stimulate fantasy and creativity. This position is understandable if we consider how math is often taught. For example when I was 12 I hate math due to my teacher. His teaching consisted in reading the book and writing to blackboard the formulas we had to learn in order to solve the problems. He wasn't able to convey us the true sense of math or , more exactly, the sense of mathematical method. This method is not a miscellaneus of formulas but it is the ability of proving a statement consistently to some hipotesis and throught a rational process . A person has to develop a strong creativity in addition to logics skills in order to be able to do this . Albert Einstein , one of the best phisics and mathematician of 20th century said :" logic will get you from A to B. Immagination will take you everywhere". This sentence shows the importance of fantasy in scientific field and more specifically in mathematics.

Personally I started to like this subject when I started high-school. My new teacher was very out-going and eccentric . He managed to convey us the real sense of this discipline and its connections with other subjects like history and ICT. This mathematical teaching was useful to my student career and also helped me in umanistic field ( in phylosopy for example).

I would like to end with a citacion of Jhon von Neumann : " If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is".

Sep 1, 2015 1:53 PM
Comments · 4

If you think of it as a game, it will become enjoyable.

September 1, 2015

Mathmatics is very big title. I'd like to enhance my ability in numerical methods with Matlab.

September 1, 2015

Yes, I think like you. Especially, Pi number and golden ratio (phi number) has a lot of mystery.

Some of mathematician has very interesting story ( like Gauss, Omer Hayyam, Bernoulli)

September 1, 2015

In my life, i ever thought that the maths is horrible, when i was young. But after a lot of years, when i arrived into a university, i started like mathematics and i attend courses of statistics. After my degree, i started give statistics lessons for young students, and now i love numbers! Unbelieveable!

September 1, 2015