Jonathan Huggins
Most effective ways to take advantage of language exchanges

Can you please share your tips and advice from your own experience from language exchanges to figure out the best way to make the most out of a language exchange?
As a native English-speaker and teacher I get many requests from people, but very few are serious language learners or lack a clear language goal or do not commit to practicing regularly or because of time zone differences, it is difficult to find times that work for both of us.
I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Sep 1, 2015 4:37 PM
Comments · 4

I am also interested in answer to this question from people who have experience doing language exchange.  I have only been learning my target language, French, for 2 weeks, so there isn't a lot I'd be able to say without reading a script, but I'd still like the practice.  I read Benny Lewis's blog, Fluent in 3 Months, and he takes tutoring from people on here.  He mentioned that you should always decide with your tutor/language partner ahead of time what you will cover, how long you would like the call to be, and how long each of you will speak in your target language to keep it fair.  

September 1, 2015

Another good approach I think, is when a person has particular questions about the target language and wants to clarify them.

September 2, 2015

I'm sure a plan of conversation is required. May be not a list of points but it may be something which you've read or watched and agreed to discuss. Of course we may talk about other different things, but every time when a silence occurs we can come back to the topic.

September 2, 2015

Hello Jonathan Huggins. I am going to USA in September 2015 (9 September) write me a private message, I will answer you when I arrive to USA, we can be a language partners if you wish. And you will practice your Russian language regularly.

September 2, 2015