Shawn
Community Tutor
Using Whole or Partial Sentences As Adjectives And Nouns In English

In American English, we can turn a whole sentence or part of a sentence into an adjective or even a name. The words are usually hyphenated in writing. I am guessing that this is also the case in British, Irish, Canadian, Australian and other dialects of English too. For instance,

1. This is my I-haven't-had-my-coffee-yet-so-don't-disturb-me-unless-you-want-to-die face.
= This is the facial expression I make when you could possibly die for disturbing me because I haven't had my coffee yet.

* Actually, I wonder if "I-haven't-had-my-coffee-yet-so-don't-disturb-me-unless-you-want-to-die" is an adjective here or whether "I-haven't-had-my-coffee-yet-so-don't-disturb-me-unless-you-want-to-die face" should be classified as one big compound noun. Hmmm.

2. Hey, Mr. Never-gives-a-damn-about-anything. Do you think you could show some interest in this project so we can get it done faster?
= Hey, you... who never gives a damn about anything. Do you think you could show some interest in this project so we can get it done faster?

3. go-to girl - I think this also qualifies as one of these constructions. Another native who knows more about linguistics can correct me if I am wrong. Anyhow, a go-to girl is a girl who you GO TO for answers, advice, comfort, etc. Notice that it starts with a verb and a preposition. I have also seen it spelled as go to girl.

Are these types of constructs possible in other languages or are they just a feature of the English language? If they are possible in your language, please post one in the comments along with its English translation. :)

Sep 2, 2015 2:00 PM