Sami
Italian Pronunciation Model

Hi,

I'd like to improve my Italian accent.

When I was trying to neutralize my English accent (because I was sounding like a confusing blend of Nottingham, Manchester, and London accents), I found it helpful to use a 'model' (i.e. a well-known person on whom to model my pronunciation), as a good example of ideal pronunciation.

Can anyone suggest a suitable Italian example? I'm looking for someone well-known (so that there's plenty of material available to imitate), and has an accent that is 'unmarked', i.e. has relatively neutral speech with regards to class and region. In English, this would be the British Modern RP (received pronunciation) accent (e.g. Jude Law, off the top of my head...). Does Italian have a similar neutral accent?

Sep 2, 2015 9:10 PM
Comments · 10

Ciao Sami!

Let me give you a piece of advice. "Ideal pronunciation" doesn't exist. When learning a foreign language, accent should be the least of your preoccupations.

Buona fortuna!

September 3, 2015

Hi Sami, 

If you want a perfect pronunciation I suggest to you not to follow a single actor but try to find some american films dubbed in italian. Our dubbers are amazing and most of them don't use regional accent. Italy is a country full of dialects, every actor have an inflection in their pronunciations, and in Italy we use that in order to give more characterization to the characters. So maybe you can find a film, or a video of an actor in wich he plays a role using a strong accent, and I think you don't want that! ;)

That's my suggestion, you can find a list of all italian dubbers here: http://www.speaker-italiano.com/doppiatori.php

September 3, 2015

Nanni Moretti is a movie director and actor.

In my opinion, he writes very good Italian and speaks it with neutral pronunciation, unless he wants to emphasize something or wants to sound local to some specific place.

He made several movies.

You might also want to search for 'audiobooks'.

September 2, 2015

Ciao!I think you have to watch more Italian films and try to speak with someone from Italy every day.

September 15, 2015

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out.

Marco - I'm not asking the question because I think that pronunciation is the most important thing; I'm asking because I'm interested in it.

September 5, 2015
Show more