Olga
Children and kindergardens

My question is to those who have children.

In russia a woman stay at home with her baby untill he or she is 3 years old. than a baby goes to a state kindergarden, where the group of children consist of 20 kids and 2 adults take care of them. fee is very small and every family can affort it. 

but nowdays there are many private baby centers were we can leave a baby for all day since he or she is 1 year old. BUT fee is half if my selary.

How the situation is in your country? Tell me your story please. 

What is your oppinion: is it better to let a baby stay with his mother as long as possible or it is better to start his adaptation to a society early

Sep 3, 2015 11:42 AM
Comments · 3

You bring up a very intersting topic. It is one of those items that is quietly debated in my country (USA.)

When I grew up (a long, long time ago :-) ) nearly all mothers stayed home with young children until kindergarden, age 5 or 6. If the mother had to work a relative or maybe a friend would care for the children. It was very rare for the fathers to care for young children.

But times have changed.

Today it is normal for mother and father to work full time jobs. Women typically take 3 months off when they have a child then return to their job, often full time. The children go to paid day care and often, as you say, it takes half of one of the parent's salaries to afford it. Fathers usually only get a couple weeks off at the birth of their child then return to work. Fathers today are much more involved with their children than years ago, which I feel is great. Kindergarden starts at age 5 or 6 and is all day and free for all.

But here is what I find very interesting. Couples will say they are both required to work to afford living today. However, today's young couples buy homes as large as my parent's generation did after 20 years of marriage and making due with a small home. Most people here (I live in a rural area) have two or three cars, snowmobiles, boats, etc. and have an expectation to 'get away' to tropical destination for a week or two each year. I suppose to afford that lifestyle then yes, both parents would need to work.

We made a different choice when we had our child -- my wife stayed home for the first 5 years. But we were not in the majority with our choices.

September 3, 2015

I live in the State. There are daycares for babies & toddlers, preschools for 3 & 4 years old and then, 5 years old kids go to Kindergarten.

For example, preshools are private, charter and involved in elementary school. Price is different depends on what kinda school they will go. Private & charter school is more expensive than preschool in Elementary school. 

But, there is benefit for low income families.

As for a staymom or a workingmom, I chosed a staymom for my son. He is a kindergartner now.

I didn't regret my dicision. I have daily routine things to do for him. Like his piano lesson, sports activity and playdate and making someting food for him when he gets home from school. He is hungry all the time. lol 

September 3, 2015

Thanks Greg for a good answer, but what do you think is better FOR A CHILD: to stay longer with a family or to start earlier addaptation in a society? 

I heard that attitude the the children in the States differ from Russian. i heard: children in the States live like kings, the are allowed to do whatever they want.

Is that true?

September 5, 2015