Heidi
Do you think it is proper for your students to call your first time directly?

I teach English. In the class of mine, I ask students to call me Helen instead of Miss. Wu, because I thought in foreign countries students are supposed to be equal to teachers. What's the situation in your country?

Sep 3, 2015 1:49 PM
Comments · 15
I went to high school as an adult student and I called my teacher Ms or Mrs or Mr because that was appropriate to the school but I do not consider that a sign of respect, just a school rule. I respected my teachers by participating, being punctual, and being polite. That is what I believe anyway. I think you should do what you are comfortable with unless your school has guidelines then consulting them would be wise.
March 14, 2018

In many Western countries pupils call the teach by his/her first name. It depends on the school and on the age of the pupils. I personall prefer a little distance and when I taught in China I loved the way the students were so respectful and polite to me, unlike my students in the West. So it really depends on you and on your school.

September 3, 2015
This is an interesting question. In Serbia, it is common to address your teachers as "teacher"(if you are at grade school) or "professor" (if you are at high school). In a way, it's even more formal than using their surname. No one would ever even think of calling a teacher by their first name. This is because schools are public institutions and formality is expected.

However, as an after-school activity, I also used to go to a specialized language school to improve my English. Teachers there were not so formal as they taught small groups of students. I ended up addressing them all by their first name. This did not mean I disrespected them in any way!
As an online English tutor, I noticed my students usually call me "David" or "teacher David" and I'm fine with this. Personally, I don't think formalities are that important when having a one-on-one lesson.
March 14, 2018

Everything is changing. I am a little bit old style and have to adapt. In a private group class for learning Arabic, in a French speaking country, I used to adress myself to the teacher with a you PLURAL in sign of respect.

I grew up with this notion that teachers deserve respect. But my Lebanese teacher felt offended because she is younger then me and Arabic doesn’t have this plural form to say you. When I understood her feelings I promptly changed. I didn’t want her to think that I was trying to dismiss her.

So now I try to adapt to the circumstances and “when in Rome do as the Romans do”

March 14, 2018
I like to be just "Guyomar" online and to address my teachers by their first name. However, in a university settings, while I still like to just go by my first name, I find it impossible not to say "Professor" to the person who is teaching me. No matter how many times I was told I was welcome to use their first name, I couldn't do it so I understand why some students like the hierarchical boundaries to be clearly established.
March 14, 2018
Show more