southwa
Looking for a translator Job, any tips?

I'm looking for jobs in the translation field. My strongest languages are English, Chinese and Japanese at the moment but I don't really want to live in the US...I have a degree in Chinese and Japanese if that helps.

Do you guys have any tips for me for my search?

Also, it will be more temporary as I hope to start a masters degree eventually.

Sep 3, 2015 9:56 PM
Comments · 10

Your best bet is going to be freelancing, unless you're extremely skilled. The vast majority of translator jobs focus primarily on administrative government, legal and business issues. If you're looking to translate almost any thing else(Movies, TV, Manga, books, poetry etc), your best bet will be to do it yourself and build a portfolio. Once you have a portfolio you can try and land an industry job.

You should also have an accurate assessment of your skills based on an accepted standard (an HSK test, in Chinese.) If you're not testing at around a level 5 or 6 in HSK, for instance, your odds of getting well paid industry work go down pretty significantly. 

The biggest draw back of not getting a job in one of the three main fields is that the work is much less reliable as a source of steady income. It's rather like being an artist, or software developer. Once the project is done, so is your job.

September 17, 2015

You can work online as a freelancer. Or go to China and you will definetely find a job there as all native English speakers are highly demanded in China. 

September 4, 2015

Firstly you could try Upwork.com to become a freelancer. Once you have some savings,move abroad. :)

December 25, 2015

你很棒!

December 10, 2015

Are you good at Chinese? by the way I have a question: why do you not want to live in US? Is US not a good country? Where is your family? Do you know many persons who are not in US want to live in US?

December 10, 2015
Show more