Heidi
Does the order we write letters (such as A and B) matter?

The order of writing letters is in the first lesson of our secondary school English textbook. Maybe it has something to do with nice handwriting? What do you think?

Sep 5, 2015 4:53 AM
Comments · 19
"Stroke order" in English is not such a big deal, but of course, doing it the right way will allow you to write cursive more quickly and more legibly. Let me put it this way, there are only 26 letters in the English language, so why not get it right?

On the other hand, even though I use standard technique, my writing is impossible to read, so I'm very thankful for modern technology such as computer keyboards.

For information on aesthetically pleasing handwriting, you can look up "calligraphy."
September 5, 2015

@Helen - Stroke order in English isn't nearly as important as in Chinese, but it's still important.

@-Xing - saying left handed people can't write Chinese, or any other language, smoothly is a myth started by right handed people. I have no idea who started it or why, but it's obviously false. 

September 5, 2015

I occasionally discussed the different drawing orders between English litters and Chinese characters with a American friend who is studying linguistics a few days ago. 

Briefly speaking, you could write English text fluently with both hands, whereas it's improssible using LEFT hand write Chinese characters smoothly, even with a lot of practicing. When you write Chinese characters, following drawing orders - from up to down, left to right - is a improtant rule you should obey.

What's more, I think there still some orders could make your English handwriting beautiful. :)

September 5, 2015

Hi, Aegis. Thanks for your view! It's important for joining letters together, isn't it?

September 5, 2015

Hi, Aegis and Jmat! I mean how to write a letter..For example, if you want to write H, the correct order should be that: first write vertically from right to left, then write horizontally.

September 5, 2015
Show more