Ezzat
Catalan is the Catalan language a different language or it's just accent from Spanish language ?

Catalan is the Catalan language a different language or it's just accent from Spanish language ?

Sep 16, 2015 5:35 PM
Comments · 10

Ric, first of all, it's called "Catalan" in English. If you want to use the native name (I'm not sure why you would though), it would be "català".

You may personally understand more Catalan than Portuguese, but it's basically universally accepted in Romance linguistics that Portuguese and Spanish are more closely related genetically. This is because despite the fact that Portuguese's phonology is quite different to Spanish, in terms of lexicon and grammar Catalan is more different to Portuguese is and leans towards French and Italian in many ways.

In Catalan the past tense is formed differently (to go + infinitive, which in Spanish is the near future), there are third-class verbs with the -eixo/-isc addition to the stem like in Italian (cf. Spanish prefiero, Catalan preferisc/prefereixo/preferixo, Italian preferisco), Catalan lacks Spanish's characteristic dipthongs (Sp. tIEne, fUEgo; Ca. té, foc; Pt. tem, fogo), Catalan devoices all final consonants, Catalan differentiates ò and ó and è and é just like Italian and Portuguese... really the differences are important at all levels.

September 16, 2015

It's a completely different language from Spanish.

September 16, 2015

Ric, seriously?

That was really totally wrong. I speak Spanish fluently, in a higher level than you,  and when I hear Catalan, I don't get most of it but if even if I did, that wouldn't make the language less important if you're talking from a linguistic perspective. 

September 16, 2015

Catalan is a language on its own, with its grammar, its vocabulary and its phonology. Of course it does have some similarities with Spanish because both of them are Romance languages, but nonetheless it remains a separate language.

Here you can hear Catalan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-Nnuw_Y90

September 16, 2015

thanks it was so nice from you all

September 17, 2015
Show more