Ivan at italki
Learning Article : Quizzacious: The Mystery Of Word Frequency

Discuss the Article : Quizzacious: The Mystery Of Word Frequency

<a href='/article/555/quizzacious-the-mystery-of-word-frequency' target='_blank'>Quizzacious: The Mystery Of Word Frequency</a>

Quizzacious. You have almost certainly heard of this word in the last 10 days. Michael Stevens, creator of the popular Vsauce YouTube channel posted a video on the topic exploring Zipf’s Law, the Pareto Principle, and the frequency of specific word occurrence in language and literature. Why this pattern occurs consistently remains one of the most fascinating unsolved mysteries of human language.

Sep 21, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 12

@Stephen - the sample size is indeed a concern, but there shouldn't be this much deviation with the amount of text we had (we analyzed all of the english-learning articles for the last year). The "the" issue is curious though, because it is relatively rare for a language to have a non-gender version of a word that functions as "the" does. Many languages don't have the word at all.

September 25, 2015

Thank you. Very interesting. I`ve just finished my deck for Anki based on words graded according to zipf law. I have 14000 the most frequent words in English.

September 29, 2015
Very glad to read several nods to the complexity of humans, their thoughts, how we put vaguely-formed 'thoughts' into streams of speech, with the expectation that that noise will hit the ear / eye of our listener / reader and trigger the right reaction.  Let's hear it for an appreciation for complexity in human communication!  Learn patterns first to break the chaos into manageable chunks i.e. very general rules about large sections of grammar and *then* double-back and refine understanding, learn the exceptions once the foundation is in place.  After reading your article, I thought "Let's make grammar and linguistic and syntax awareness cool again!" 
June 14, 2017

Very interesting article, Ivan.  Thank you! 

September 24, 2015

Maybe you just needed a bigger sample of English to square your own data with that expected by Zipf’s Law.

September 23, 2015
Show more