[Deleted]
Moving to and staying in Japan?

Hello everyone! My name is Vicky, I'm at high school, I'm from Germany and I have a question that I asked myself for so long now: Is it really THAT hard to go to Japan and stay there? Because there are so many people who live in Japan for so many years who work as teachers and translators etc who aren't married to a Japanese citizen. Would it be easier for me to get to work in Japan if I am able to speak different languages? Or is it even with many language skills nearly impossible to get a Working visa?
I plan to study the Japanese language and culture at a university, in German we call it Japanologie, I don't know what it is in English I'm sorry. So if I am able to speak Japanese, English, German, Spanish and Korean do I have better chances?

I am so sorry if I confuse you with my question I really don't know how to ask.

Thank you so much for reading this!

vcky :) x

Sep 27, 2015 12:06 PM
Comments · 2

Japan has many international companies located there, you can find work in Japan just like you could anywhere. If you are able to, perhaps try to be part of an exchange program while you are in school. You can live with a host family and attend high school in Japan for usually a duration of 5 months. That could give you a decent idea of what life is like there as well as help with your language learning ^^ it would look good on a college application if you chose to apply at Japanese colleges! 

There are of course many opportunities to be a language instructor, translator, or working at places like call centers. But outside of that there is work in Japan like anywhere else in the world, so of course being profiecent in Japanese would broaden your spectrum of possible job opportunties. 

September 28, 2015

Hello Vicky!

Studying in Japan and living and working there is very different experience altogeter. You may enroll in any university and study Japanese and may get a part time work(arubaito from German Arbeiten) but if you have decided to stay and live there long then get ready for cultural shocks (Gaijin phenomenon). You need to adapt and get adjusted to their culture and living mores quickly. If you are a quick learner and adapatable then things will be not much difficult. 

These are my individual opinion and things may be entirely different for you.

September 27, 2015