Andy Golyanov
Parter Up to Practice English and Russian

Hi, guys. 

I am looking for a partner to practice Russian and English for free in skype (30 minutes - Russian, 30 minutes - English). 

About me

I have worked as a translator in legal and finance for a couple of years. I worked for 3 years as a translator with Pepsi Moscow. 

I have a good level in both spoken and written English. I have passed the speaking part of CPE at "above exceptional". 

Objectives

English: speak about current events, practice spoken English, using vocabulary about econ, politics, finance in general, occasionally write a piece on an important event (for instance, the meeting between Obama and Xi in the broad-based context of Sino-American relations) and pass it to the partner just to read and correct any very signicant errors or just highlight the parts that don't look good.

Russian: it depends, naturally. I can talk current events, political, econ, etc. -- in addtion to basic social situations (orders food at a restaurant, etc.) -- and help you grow dramatically your skills set. However, I am not very good at the Russian grammar -- in terms of using simple words to explain hard-to-memorize concepts (the Russian grammar is not challenging intellectually-wise, it's just gruesomely convoluted, so you basically need to drill those endings, until they are in your subconscious, no way anyone can explain it in a structured way that resembles any logical system - it's like the tones in Chinese -- the words just have them and you basically need to memorize them). 

Would be happy to have a long-term writing assignments set, because it would be just interesting and require minimal inputs from me, however delivering very important benefits to you, i.e. getting from the point, when there's lots of mistakes and getting to the point, where there are only minor infractions. 

Example (the English version of the Russian text): 

"Hi, Andrew. I would like to talk to you about the possibility for me to purchase the forklift that we have discussed. Could you please ask Jonh to send us the specifications. Could you please ask him to specify, where in Moscow you have sold these forklifts, so that we can arrange an informal meeting with your customers and ask them, whether they like the foklifts."

The Russian version of the text: 

"Привет, Андрей. Я хотел поговорю с тобой -- я хочу покупал тот погрузчик, о который мы говорили." 

Revised version of the text: 

"Привет, Андрей. Я хотел хочу поговорю поговорить с тобой -- я хочу покупал купить тот погрузчик, о про который мы говорили."

As you can see, it's not hard for me to correct the Russian text, but it clearly shows the major mistakes. If you make the same mistakes like 10 times, we will gradually eliminate them. 

For instance, it's easy to exmplain the error when you say "I want to talk to you", in this case you need to use the infinitive for the second verb. Very easy: I - want - to talk. However, this is a major issue for those Russians, who learn English, so it can be an issue for those English speakers who learn Russian. 

P.S. I am more and more convinced that the written assignments might be as importat to weeding out the major mistaks as the speak-out tasks. This is generally not the opinion of the majority of ESL tutors who tend to focus more on oral tasks versus the written assignments, coz it's harder to make a student to write something at home and you need to revise it, which takes time and an effort. And, most importantly, you need to be a pro to revise somebody's English. I am a quite "in-the-zone" translator, but I am not sure that I will be very effective in revising the English written assignments - event at pre-intermediate level, coz I am not a native speaker. In Russian, it's very easy, coz I am a native. 

Sep 27, 2015 2:54 PM
Comments · 1

I've just upped this topic)))

October 4, 2015