MarthaO
Making friends

I might be the only one, but does it bother anyone else when people make friend requests and you look at their profile and there is no information? There isn't a need to write much, but a little something is nice. I do not like it when I see a member has not written anything to be corrected, or even tried to correct another member's writing, but wants you to accept their request and exchange contact information. As I said, it may just be my opinion but it's the way I feel.

(Since I had to write a "learning language", I used the one I am learning, but this applies to everyone/language)

Sep 28, 2015 12:25 AM
Comments · 6

Yes, and the fact that 1*) your native language is English, plus 2*) the fact that you are a woman, increase your chances of being "bothered" manifold.

1) Everyone wants to learn English, so it is a mere matter of big numbers: that is, more people with no infos in their profiles.

2) I may be blunt, but that's what it is: there are guys here, like in any other "community", who are just fishing for women (you should notice if the majority of those "anonymous" requests are from guys). I tried an experiment one time just for fun: I had signed up on Sharedtalk as a girl and I was immediately pelted with contact requests, while I had been a member of that site for about a year and I hardly made a couple of "friends".

September 28, 2015

I also feel that way. There are people who send language exchange requests as if this were Twitter or Instagram and their profiles are empty, and sometimes their profiles say that they have been using this site for more than two years.

September 28, 2015

I think they don't intend to learn any language, or if they are truly language learners, maybe they're using italki only as a media to find people's social media and learning languages through those social media that maybe they think easier to communicate.

September 28, 2015

When I receive a friend request, I always look at their  profile, for understanding a little about people who sent the request. If they aren't active members, no notes, no corrections, I delate the request. There was a period of time, in which I have written I was looking for female only, as language partner, but again, most of requests were from men, and most of them didn't either study Italian... Not everyone here is interested to learn a language! I also received some requests very explicit, but I prefer these ones, because I don

't loose time...

October 1, 2015

I have never been bothered by anyone on this site, thankfully. And yes, I know I receive more requests because I am a native English speaker and possibly because I am a female. Many people just dont think about others looking at their profiles as part of the process of making a choice. 

September 28, 2015
Show more