Jake Luke Harrison
Talking to strangers in China...

My lifestyle often involves interacting with the public. Every day, I speak with people (strangers) about a range of interesting topics! As part of my work, I often chat and discuss things with people on the street... generally busy highstreets and city centers :)

I've only worked in European cities, but in December I plan to start in Taipei and a few cities in China!  

So, my question is... 

Is it easy (generally speaking) to approach and talk with strangers here?

Obviously the culture is very different, so I'm wondering if it's acceptable/easy to speak with members of the public and spontaneously begin conversations with people? :)

Finally... my reason for asking this question is recently I have been working in Vienna where there are many tourists. I found American and European tourists really easy to stop and talk to, but found it nearly impossible to stop Mandarin-speaking tourists (even when I used Mandarin!). So I'm curious as to whether it's to do with cultural differences. :)

Sep 29, 2015 4:24 PM
Comments · 4

"Now what I'm sharing is my personal experience."

I've lived in Taipei for 5 years and I would like to assure you that the people are very friendly and easygoing, generally speaking, of course. The people from Mainland China, when abroad are usually cold, whereas those from Taiwan are 熱情 wherever they are.

Please bear in mind, however, to use a very docile and conspicuous approach when confronting people in Taipei. I know that many western language learners tend to have excessive fervor and passion when presented with an opportunity to practice a foreign language, but too much passion might actually scare the Taipeians away. So please be gentle and a bit "childlike" when approaching them in public. And don't worry they are great people and all language and culture enthusiasts have a great chance of having a tremendous time fraught with indelible memories over in Taipei. Good luck.

NB: please learn some Taiwanese (the local dialect)

September 29, 2015

I agree with Dinyo. Im a Taiwanese now living in Taipei, and there are many people are willing to talk to foreigner because we want more chances practicing speaking. Just make sure to say you intention to them first instead of starting a chat directly. You'll find them are really friendly and nice, hope u can have good experience:)

December 25, 2015

In mainland China,actually it's easier for you to make new friends every day. Most Chinese here are very welcome to foreigners and they will stare at you since you are exotic. Even if they couldn't speak English,you can become friends with them. They would love to help you and it helps you improve your Chinese in a quicker way.

Good luck!

December 25, 2015

As a chinese, I'd say Chinese people normally feel insecure when strangers stop them for talking. Because there are many bad guys doing this on purpose in order to accomplish their scams.  So we were told not to talk to strangers when we were kids. But I still think it's worth to give a try. Because you're foreigner who can communicate in Mandarin. That might make a big difference. So good luck! Waiting for your review.

September 29, 2015