Learner SC
Why are learners of English who are Chinese so nervous about speaking English?

I tend to focus on Chinese and there is one aspect of Chinese culture that is outstanding. Why are so many so many native Chinese speakers so scared to speak English?

What's the problem about making a mistake? Don't tell me Chinese people never make mistakes in their daily lives.

How about if Chinese people learn other languages such as Russian, Japanese etc? Do they experience the same nervousness when speaking those languages?

Sep 30, 2015 12:34 AM
Comments · 11

Well as i have mentioned, i think it's the same when speaking any other foreign languages. I have many Chinese friends who are learning French/ German/Russian etc, they told me  they felt nervous and embarrassed to talk with target language natives too... especially when they were begninner's level. but they felt even more 'nervous'  when they can't speak English well. Interestingly, one of my friends, he's ace, he's really good at Spanish! He is keen on speking to anyone in Spanish from native countries...ironically his English isn't good though, he's so shy and kind of nervous..his confidence and charm-just  all gone when he's trying to talk to english native speakers. He's definitely different person from that speaking Spanish fluently! There was a time I felt like i am dumb when this friend and a Columbian friend were talking in Spanish all the way, and vice versa. Ideally we should hang out with a person who can speak English and Spanish as well. lol

anyway, so here is my explanation: English is the super langauge globally, there are millions of English native speakers, ESL/EFL learners..naturally it is 'the one and only' foreign language that you are supposed to be good at if you want to start learning a new language...and then again, back to my answers with ABCs mentioned earlier. In comparison with English, other foreign languages seem 'rare' here though, so you are 'forgiveable' if you make some mistakes. 

October 1, 2015

Compared to English learners from other countries, I don't think they are any more timid in general. There skill level is lower compared to European learners, but that's to be expected.

September 30, 2015

(....)

C, in China, English language input/output(unless you do business regulary with Western companies or related cross-cultural work) isn't as much as you think and we hardly talk to any real native speaker in English. by 'real', i mean even English teachers from native coutries tend to slow down their speed when they speak, they don't speak fast so that make themselves understood by Chinese students. On the contary, in India, Indians use English as second official language, therefore their English speaking skills are much higher on average. but that's not the case in China. plus it's not just Chinese...tons of non-native speakers afraid of speaking English in front of native speakers out there. In my own experience, in general, Koreans and Japanese fear speking English too.

sorry talking to much...but since you asked, I think you deserve a complete answer, and this is based on my own knowledge and experience. My personal opinion : )

September 30, 2015

aha, this is a 'big' question : 0

A, they are afraid of making mistakes A LOT... in terms of grammar, pronunciation etc. and i guess it's the same when speaking any other foreign languages. Part of reason is that i can think of is that because of his/her level. There is little chance a Chinese will ever talk to you in English 'voluntarily'. Like...I am total beginner in Spanish, i am not even familiar with the very basics..so i don't think i can talk to any native speaker until when i get enough vocab and build up my level slowly. What else...sometimes this can be explained by his/her personality(too shy too rigid or uptight..) people are different...i knew a girl who's totally dumb in English but like to chat to foreign guys with a couple of words.

B, face 'mianzi' culture, they feel embarrassed if they can't speak a 'perfect' English therefore you can't fully understand them due to this...they won't talk to you until they are "ready".they have speaking draft in their mind. You see we've  leant "how are you?" - "I am fine, thanks. and you?" scenario from our textbooks(i heard it's the same in Korea lol), but if you ask "what's up?/what's going on?" or you answer "not bad today...bla bla" then oops...; / 

September 30, 2015

Hello! I am not a chinese native,  however I believe that  is normal you get nervours when you speak a foreign language.  This is because you are afraid to make a make make a mistake,  say something wrong or pronunce something bad and change the meaning.

But... practice and make mistakes is the only way to learn a foreing language.

September 30, 2015
Show more