Leo
Should professional athletes be allowed to take steroids?

Yes or no, and why?

I actually don't have a problem with this. If a pro wants to swap his life for some temporary glory and a butt load of money, it's very difficult to stop him. so just sit back and enjoy. Here is a short video on this topic:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-all-drug-olympics/n9691

Oct 1, 2015 3:23 AM
Comments · 7

As far as I know taking steroids damages one's body so if athletes want to damage their bodies for success, for money or publicity or for whatever reason, it is their choice. It hurts them, not me. I have also heard that professional athletes are some sort of modern gladiators. They push themselves to next level. I'm curious about body limits - what we can as human beings achieve if we do not take any substance like steroids and then what we can do when we take them.

October 3, 2015

Hi aegis, i cant watch the video.It says its not availible in my region. 

I kinda see your point but i still dont agree. 

Fraudsters who steal money from accounts stay ahead of the game. They might steal some money, get away with it for some time until the authorities catch up and eventually catch them. Because its a constant game of cat and mouse, should we just not bother and let them do it?? no, because its morally wrong and illegal. 

Steroids can be extremely dangerous if misused. So if the average athlete sees all the pro's taking them he will think that he HAS TO take them to succeed. Without guidance and proffessional help he could kill himself or severely injured/disable himself. 

Lets have a safe level playing field. Athletes and sports stars are celebrities nowadays and everyone copies celebrities. They have a duty to be good role models to the young. 

Steroids is often a quick fix/lazy attitude to getting somewhere quicker. Turning a blind eye to it is even lazier. We will never stamp it out completely, there will always be people making mistakes. Ying needs yang right? 

October 3, 2015

Short answer is - no, i dont think they should. 

I love sports and training and using steroids to be the best you can be interests me but I dont think athletes should use them. I will try to keep this as short as possible. 

If every athlete could be as strong, as quick, as tough and keep working forever, all these aspects would lose their value. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and they can all effect us positively and negatively. My weakness in football is probably my speed over the first 5-10 yards, so i try and improve on this but i have to use my intelliegence more and rely on my accurate passing. If i took a pill i would be more powerful and quicker over 5 yards, but if everyone did this people wouldnt value hard work and skill. 

Lionel Messi is tiny. If he thought he could solve this with a pill or injection he might never have become as skillful. He is one of the best players in the world but one of the least athletic. This encourages others with non athletic bodies to train and practice and you can succeed. 

I could ramble on about this forever but i hope you get my drift. If a normal person wishes to take steroids to improve then i dont see a problem. But when competetion becomes involved I think it should be a level playing field. 

October 1, 2015

Another issue for me is the fact that some athletes are allowed to take for instance steroids because they are suffer from asthma. I have read somewhere that 75% of Tour de France cyclists are suffering from asthma and are allowed to take legal doping. For me as a fun it is ridiculous that you have to suffer from asthma to win TdF or Olympic Gold in swimming. I do not believe that so many sportsmen have asthma and that their drugs do not give them advantage for these ones who are health.

October 3, 2015

Hi everyone,

in my opinion athletes definitely should not be allowed to take steroids, EPO, doing blood transfusions etc. It is dangerous, ruins their health, sometimes even leads to change their gender (some athletes from former East Germany were earlier woman but after taking for many years steroids became man).

It agree that pro are in most cases one step further that all anti-doping agencies and take and will take more and more advanced specifics or use genetic doping, which for now is not detectable, but I think also that many organisations like NBA, NHL, NFL, FIFA, UEFA, tennis, rugby, just let their pro to use doping. Only cycling and now Athletics is really fighting with this problem and catching not only marginal sportsmen from their discipline but also stars.

October 3, 2015
Show more