[Deleted]
What is the difference between ser and estar

I simply find it difficult

Oct 2, 2015 10:32 AM
Comments · 4

In general terms, the verb "ser" refers to the essence of things and the verb "estar" refers to the state of things.

That's the reason we use "ser" to describe how something/someone is. Because we are talking about the essence:

Él es alto. Eso es un árbol. Nosotros somos amigos.

When talking about feelings, temporary states or locations, we use "estar", because we are describing the state of something/someone. It can be confuse when talking about locations, but think that a location is also a state. A "thing" can be placed in different locations, it's not a part of its essence:

Mi casa está en la ciudad. Mi padre está contento. Yo estoy en el parque.

Look at this 2 sentences:

Soy feliz.

Estoy feliz.

Both are ok, but they have different meanings. The first one means that "I am essentially a happy person". The second one means "I am happy right now" (due to something, it's a temporary state).

Also, we use "ser" when talking about professions, although you can think that a profession is a "temporary state". So:

Soy escritor. Mi padre es bombero. Mi madre es abogada...

I hope it helps.

October 4, 2015

Ser se usa para describir cosas! Perdonas, e.g. el árbol es lindo, yo soy grande, mi mama es medica. Estar se usa para decir lugares donde nos encontramos y para describir estados de animo de salud, e.g. yo estoy en argentina, yo estoy enferma, yo estoy enojada.

October 2, 2015

I imagine one could write a book on the differences between ser and estar. It's a complex question and there are some great websites out there that can give you very detailed information. Good luck!

October 3, 2015
October 2, 2015