Leo
Should italki teachers keep their time schedule accurate?

I'm not a teacher, so I don't know how difficult it is to keep a time schedule up to date, but I'm guessing it's not to bad. As a student, it's frustrating to me when I request a lesson and later find out that the teacher isn't really available at that time. By the time the request expires, it might be too late to book someone else for that hour. Or another possible scenario is the teacher will accept, then immediately request a reschedule. Imo, this is borderline unethical.

In a recent thread here I was amazed that one teacher actually complained her students were trying to book lessons when she wasn't available. Either she doesn't understand the time schedule thing, or she doesn't feel it's necessary to keep it accurate.

What do you think - should italki teachers keep their time schedule accurate?

Oct 3, 2015 11:22 PM
Comments · 17

Teacher here! I thought I'd add my two cents.

As a professional teacher, I try to keep my schedule as accurate as possible, but italki isn't the only place I, and many professional teachers, teach. Many teachers have a day job. I'm a freelance teacher per my visa in Germany and I must keep my in-person students to keep my visa. These lessons are quite unpredictable, and to be honest, these classes pay a lot more than italki sessions. Italki's calendar needs to be updated through their system, so when you're on the go, it isn't so easy to do. Teaching also requires us to be connected to the student in front of us and not our computers, so response times can vary with our schedules. As for being online and not responding, I can't really speak to this, except sometimes I leave my computer on when I'm out of the house or doing something else; italki usually stays open in my browswer.

Hope this helps and gives you some insight. 

October 4, 2015

I thought the same thing, Xana.  Maybe Aegis needs a different platform. It sounds like italki frustrates you in general, Aegis. 

October 5, 2015

Aegis, I'm sorry that you don't always enjoy your experience here. My comment wasn't a personal attack. Your comments seem very negative. If it's nothing but frustrations then I was only making a suggestion. That's all. Good luck with your studies. 

October 5, 2015

@ Aegis, you're absolutely right to point these issues. Otherwise, what is the point for italki?

I have had some bad sessions and I still pay the teachers because I don't want to be rude, and

then I probably won't use them again. That's not attitude: It's getting what you're willing to 

pay for.

@Efi

Forgive me darling, but why are you on italki? Not to criticise, but listen to your own 

comments....these sessions pay so much more...I need it for my visa..

Maybe you and italki are not the best fit?

Is it so wrong as a paying student, just to want things to work out for the students?

October 5, 2015

@Murillo Costa - I think it's actually 48 hours.

@April - Whether or not it's just a part time job teachers shouldn't allow classes to be scheduled if they might need to work at those times. If that means they can't be an internet teacher, so be it. I definitely won't rehire someone who accepts my request and then tells me they have to work at that time. As for you comment about the prices being low, if that's a problem they should raise their prices or find another job. Students don't need to be more lenient just because a teacher doesn't like her wage.

@Matteo - Your schedule says you are available 24hrs per day. If you want to see the problem, look in a mirror.

October 4, 2015
Show more