Ibu
Can we talk about idioms many native english speakers use?

I don't know many...

when I said" I had a ball" last time, my australian friend laughed at me and said it is very strange....

Let's talk about idioms!!!

maybe...

She is a down to earth person!

Oct 4, 2015 7:27 AM
Comments · 7

An American would understand "I had a ball last night," it is not strange for to hear that.  

Each English speaking country has its own idioms. 

October 4, 2015

Well, idioms go in and out of fashion, and I agree that "to have a ball" isn't what an Australian would typically say.* So I guess some idioms also depend on where you're from.

Making mistakes with idioms is part of the learning process, so there's no need to stress over sounding funny. It's not easy to use idioms perfectly!

Really, you'll get your most useful idioms when you have a comfortable relationship with native speakers. Also, see if you can pick idioms from what you read and watch.  Lists of idioms are kind of OK, but the truth is that we'll prefer some idioms and not others.

*Instead of "I had a ball last night", our preferred Aussie phrase would be "<em>Last night went off like a frog in a sock</em>"(!). Notice that we're referring to the event (last night), and not what we did personally. See what your Aussie friend thinks of that! :D

October 4, 2015

Thank you for answering everyone!!! Oh! It is interesting that idioms are different in each English speaking country!

I can use "I had a ball last night" in the US(or to my American friends!)! Yay!

Does anyone know if I can use it in the UK or Ireland? I am planning to go there next year!

Also Can I say "Chips(frenchfrys) are not my cup of tea"? I don't like it!!!!

October 5, 2015

Old but good one (british only)

"It's raining cats and dogs" (It's raining a lot).

"Something costs an arm and a leg" (very expensive)

"No use crying over spilt milk" (shoganai? Nothing can be done now)

"I feel a bit under the weather" (feel a bit sick. genki ga nai?)

"Once in a blue moon" (very rarely)

"Take with a grain of salt" (don't interpret it literally)

"Take it or leave it" (no more negotiating)

Not the sharpest tool in the box" (many variants. Someone not very bright)

"Chips(frenchfrys) are not my cup of tea"? Is OK in Britain and I think also in the USA.

And it's spelled french fries.

October 5, 2015

"I'ts raining cats and dogs", used to describe a heavy rain.

Whenever I hear this phrase I imagine what it would look like if it had a literal meaning. Then I don't know if I should laugh or be horrified instead.

October 4, 2015
Show more