Ruthi
Learning an instrument- like learning a language?

I have returned to practising the piano. As I tried to remember what to do I thought it is a good way to help me understand my students' difficulties. There seem to be so many things to remember- how to read the notes, where to put my hands, how to move smoothly from one note to another. It helps me to understand how hard it is to learn a new skill.

What do you think? Is learning an instrument similar to learning a language? 

Oct 4, 2015 8:29 AM
Comments · 4

I definitely agree, and I use this analogy in class (along with taking up a new activity) to illustrate that learning a new language is not a simple case of reading something then expecting to produce it perfectly. There are so many things to learn and remember that it feels like a juggling act at first. Then you get a handle on things and start producing a pleasant results.  Even when it seems that you've mastered the task, you still see multiple polishings and refinements that need doing to get the exact result you want. All the while, it's a case of practising and practising so you don't get rusty.

However, even after a long break, you end up surprising yourself with what you do remember. ;)

October 4, 2015

Ruthi, hello. 

I think you are absolutely right! It is similar things . For exemple, I' m professional sportsmen I do swimming very perfect. I always very surprused when my frends cannot do swimming. It is easy as have eating for me but I wrong because every human have different skills and we need help each other be better) have a nice day!) 

October 4, 2015

As Veronika said, it's like a sport. I do other sports and usually it's not too hard to pick up. I find learning languages harder than sports but when I remember how it is when I learn a new sport,  it helps me deal with the frustrations of learning a language.

October 4, 2015

Ruthi, I am in same situation. For some reasons I must learn music lessons in piano. It is very diffucult, but very interesting. How many notes,terrible theory.  But I read music and language are twin brothers. So, it will help us to learn languages :)

October 4, 2015