Elia Murru
Inspirational Biographies

Do you have a character that particularly inspires you and you read a book about? Reading random books is not my forte but when it comes to something that inspires me and that makes me really interested, I can’t stop reading. 

Oct 4, 2015 8:49 AM
Comments · 9

I forgot the mention the 3rd biography ;)

3. Van Gogh's biography, but I forgot the name of the writer of this certain biography because I read it long time ago. Also the letters between Vincent Van Gogh and his brother Theo are very good to read for those who are interested in his life and art.

October 6, 2015

I like reading biographies so much, and like you Elia when I read something that interests me, I just can't stop. Here are 3 of the biographies that I enjoyed and left a deep influence on me:

1. Roots/ Alex Haley.

2. Long Road to Freedom/ Nelson Mandela.

October 6, 2015

I agree with Magdalena, biographies and especially autobiographies often do not show real life of famous person, but just a very small piece of their life, the rest is just fiction story which usually is simple and predictable. Of course, the fact that somebody came over poverty and thanks for talent, hard work and luck achieve huge success or overcame serious illness is inspiring and everyone can learn something from his or her story. But for me it is ridiculous when some singers in age of 16 write their autobiographies, or somebody under 30 has written four autobiographies.

I recomend rather fiction stories, where we do not know the ending and can identify with characters.

October 4, 2015

Generally, I'm very sceptical about any biographies (and autobiographies especially). Do you really think it can be objective? I always assume that the commercial purposes shape stories: facts are presented in more entertaining or interesting way, some aspects are deliberately emphasised, and so on... someties it's just creating a legend ;) Maybe some biographies are just well written and we are inspired by the authors' good job? The point is that selling stories, even based on facts, can't be free from themanipulation. And this is what cools my enthusiasm.

October 4, 2015

One of my favorite books is 'into the wild'. A sad story but inspiring as it is about how a guy lived as he wanted to without conforming to the expectations society puts on all of us. A great read!

October 7, 2015
Show more