Helene Cormier
Professional Teacher
The dropped E in casual spoken French

Do you find spoken French hard to understand? It’s normal! Most people who study French find it easier to read than listen to French. The reason for this is that the spoken language is very different from the written language. There are many things that are different between written and spoken French, including vocabulary and syntax, but I’ll focus here on one pronunciation peculiarity. This trick will help you understand better.

If you’ve been learning French for a while, you already know that the E is an unstable sound in French, and it has to be dropped in some places, as in “j’habite” and “c’est”. The apostrophe shows where an E disappeared. That “élision” happens both in written and spoken French.

In casual spoken French, many more E’s disappear… And that’s one reason French sounds so fast! You actually lose a syllable (a “beat”) every time you lose an E, and the other sounds get squished together. Look at these examples:

- lentement = lent’ment
- tout le monde = tout l’monde
- je sais = j’sais (“ché”)
- je suis = j’suis (“chui”)

Please note that these contractions are perfectly acceptable in everyday speech, but would be wrong in written French. You may see them in written dialogues or song lyrics, to show how people actually speak, but that’s it.

Now that you know about this phenomenon, you need to practice listening. Pay attention, and try to hear when it’s happening. Soon, you will get used to the most common contractions, and maybe you’ll even use them yourself! This will also make you sound more fluent in French, because that’s the way people speak in normal, casual conversation.

To get you started, I’ve identified the first few dropped E’s in two popular songs. Can you find more?

“Je veux” by Zaz:

(http://platea.pntic.mec.es/cvera/hotpot/zaz_je_veuxc.htm)
- ce n’est pas = c’n’est pas
- de l’amour = d’l’amour
- de la joie = d’la joie
- fera = f’ra
- je veux = j’veux

“Amoureux de Paname” by Renaud:

(http://platea.pntic.mec.es/cvera/hotpot/amoureux_de_panamec.htm)
- samedi soir = sam’di soir
- petits = p’tits
- petites = p’tites
- je suis = j’suis

Here are a few more common contractions that you need to be able to hear:
- Je te = j’te
- Pas de = pas d’
- Ce que = c’que
- Ce qui = c'qui

As you can see, spoken French *is* faster! I recommend listening to a lot of fun, interesting things in French to practice your ear. 

Please let me know if you find this information useful, or if anything is not clear! :)

Oct 7, 2015 7:01 AM
Comments · 6

You're absolutely right, Gionatan. If you listen to a dialogue or song as you read the words, it will help you understand the differences quickly and get used to them! :)

Here's a playlist of songs in French with the lyrics, if you want to try!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqUz20Ns2LKkEWs5c9uH74y5KwEiCl8ru

April 29, 2016

Clear like water. I'd like to add some example : 

S'il te plaît : s'te plait
S'il vous plaît : si vous plaît

And words like resto, photocop', ordi', télé, coloc' etc. For restaurant, photocopie, ordinateur, télévision, colocation etc. 

There is also expressions like "y'r'pleut" that we are used to say in Normandy for "il re-pleut". It doesn't exist in written language. Same for the verlan, it's only spoken.

October 11, 2015
So when I read French I find it really easy to understand because it's so similar to Italian and English and even Latin, but your pronunciation is what keeps me from having a good French, but up until now I thought it was hard to understand corret standard French but if people really cut the words like that it's gonna be hard, but beware we do it too in Tuscan and Umbrian ahahah
April 28, 2016
Direct message with me because  you closed your messages ,thanks :)
April 28, 2016
i wanna improve my english , how about speaking together ??
April 28, 2016
Show more