Andrew
Learning to type in Korean

What is the best way to learn how to use the Korean keyboard? I know of stickers and what not, but I really struggle being able to type it out since I don't know how the keyboard is laid out.  Being able to type it would be really helpful. 

Are there any online games/websites/programs that anyone suggests? 

Oct 7, 2015 7:53 PM
Comments · 3

I have never used stickers and never would use stickers for learning to type in any language. The only way I would get them is if I was getting them purely for a cute/fashion/aesthetic reason.

You're right - being able to type would be really helpful. I mean, if you couldn't in English, you wouldn't be asking this question right now, right?

I don't have most of my Korean bookmarks on this computer, but there are typing games. You could also get started using an online keyboard to practice where the letters are. Other than that, I would say just type. That's how I learned. I just opened up a Word document and typed and figured out where everything was, and then I used it and I learned it. It doesn't take very long. It's basically the equivalent of learning 한글. You equate each letter to another letter, except instead of which letter it sounds like, you learn which letter (key) to press. And then you use it to learn it or lose it.

You could try a) free typing to get a feel for the keyboard and b) copying a text to practice writing actual syllable blocks, words, and sentences.

Press shift for double consonants (vs capitalization in English). Don't press space between syllables - just type. It will arrange it for you. For compound vowels, just type both vowels and the computer will put them together for you. All the consonants are on the left. All the vowels are on the right. It's pretty simple and logical and easy to get a hang of.

Good luck!

October 8, 2015

http://www.hancom.com/hanfriends/friendsTyping.do ;

I think It's a free Korean typing program that Koreans use to practice or compete with friends.

You can click a blue box bar in the middle of the page saying

<font face="Thread-00001884-Id-00000004"></font>

<a class="btn_blue_m" href="http://www.hancom.com/hanfriends/friendsTyping.do#none"><font color="#0066cc">한컴 타자연습 온라인 버전 다운로드</font></a><font color="#0066cc">
</font>

to download the program.

I am not sure how it exactly works to setup and play but I hope it works for you. <font color="#0066cc">
</font>

October 21, 2016

26 years ago, I started to practice typing in Korean. Then, I practiced in English after 1 year.

The best & fast way is to practice with typing game. When you get used where letters are located, try to type with a book.

Please practice with a real keyboard like a desktop computer not a mobile or ipad etc...

October 8, 2015