Gabriele
Italian Singers

In Italy, as in many other countries, English music is much appreciated and I wonder if the Italian music is appreciated in England. Is there any Italian singer who is playing in England?

In what countries Italian music is popular? And what are the famous songs?

Oct 9, 2015 12:36 PM
Comments · 7

Not really. There is so much home-grown talent in the UK, plus vast amounts of American music, that the modern music scene is almost exclusively English language based. As far as I know, hardly anyone listens to Italian popular music in Britain.

Fans of classical and opera listen to Italian music, of course. The composers Puccini, Vivaldi, Rossini, Verdi and so on are as well known in Britain as they are anywhere in the world. Italian classical performers, such as Andrea Bocelli and the late Pavarotti are also household names here.

Italian songs?  Hmm..... difficult. Stop any passerby in a British street and ask them to name an Italian song and most people would be unable to think of a single one. At a pinch, a few people might recognise Umberto Tozzi's 'Ti Amo'. Older people who remember the 1990 World cup might think of 'Nessun Dorma'. The tune - but not the words - to 'O Sole Mio' is known, mainly because of an 1980s ice-cream commercial.  Really old people might remember a song called 'Volare', popularised by the Italian-American singer Dean Martin in the 1950s. But that's about all.

October 9, 2015

In Brazil, a few singers or songs are famous here. For instance, Laura Pausini is really famous and many of her songs were hits here and even translated into portuguese, she sings really well in Portuguese. 

Tiziano Ferro also has a fanbase here. And Andrea Bocelli, don't even need to mention but he's not as mainstream as the other ones! 

October 9, 2015

You're right, Gabriele. It's a shame that most English speakers don't listen to Italian music. Or indeed any music other than British and American, for the most part. And you've just reminded me of a song I like, from back in the late 1980s. It's also called Emozioni, but it's the one by Toto Cutugno:

Emozioni,
una vita che scivola via...

October 9, 2015

as I thought.
Is very strange how in Italy we love many Italian singers, whereas abroad they are unknown.
For example Lucio Battisti, he was one of the most loved singers and he sang in America too where he had lived for some times.
If you listen one of his songs, for example "Emozioni", don't you like it?
If you give me a feedback i appreciate very much. Thanks so much!

ps: Tiziano Ferro no... please, tell me other singers. I joke ;)

October 9, 2015

Tiziano Ferro ) 

I like his songs

October 9, 2015
Show more