Jake Luke Harrison
Moving to Taiwan

Hey guys! So I've decided to stay in Taiwan for a year or two (maybe even three!) to improve my Mandarin Chinese...

Recently I've been looking at long-term apartments in Taipei, however, I find it difficult to judge what is expensive and what is cheap! What would be the average rent for a studio or one-bedroom apartment in Taipei? 

I'm currently looking at Zhongzheng (中正)district, but I heard this is quite an expensive area! 

If there are any locals who are willing to share their thoughts, it'd be a great help...!

Oct 11, 2015 4:49 PM
Comments · 3

Hello,

It really depends on the areas/districts the apartments are located at. The overall rent for any one bedroom or studio apartments in Taipei that is under $10000 NTD is considered inexpensive, 10000-15000NTD is mid-priced, and anything over 15000NTD is expensive. Also, keep in mind if any of the rent prices mention that utilities are included, if so, then you are getting a better deal.

As for Zhongzheng, it's not too expensive, I would say their apartments for rent are in the mid-priced range. 

If you're looking for an inexpensive place to rent, you should probably take a good look at the Guting and Gongguan districts, they are both conveniently located close to NTU, so there should be more affordable housing available, especially for students. Plus, you can take Mandarin classes at NTU or Shida which is also nearby.

You can also take a look at apartments designated in the New Taipei City districts because they are more inexpensive.  The transportation system in Taipei is very quick and efficient so commuting from New Taipei City by MRT (subway) or bus is fast and convenient.

I'm not currently living in Taipei but have in the past and I'm Taiwanese but was raised and living the the United States. Living in Taipei is really fun and exciting. Of course, there will be language and cultural adjustments but you should find that the people in Taiwan are very helpful and friendly. Good luck in your search for an apartment in Taipei!

October 11, 2015
This content violates our Community Guidelines.
November 26, 2015

@Annie

Wow, thanks for the incredible comment! :D 

October 11, 2015