Ali
Irish Lanuage

Ok so Im Irish. I was born and raised in Ireland and speak the language fluently. I came on here and noticed there are a lot of people looking to learn Gaelige but not so many active teachers. 

So if anyone reading this wants to learn or practise or just learn about our culture and way of life the feel free to message me. 

Slán leat! :)

Oct 21, 2015 3:27 PM
Comments · 4

So, if a fluent speaker from Ulster and a fluent speaker from Munster were to meet they'd still be able to understand each other perfectly well despite the pronunciation/phrasing differences?

Thanks to the two of you. Go raibh maith agaibh.

October 22, 2015

@Spagnola, the pronunciation is quite different (in Ulster stress is always on the first syllable, in Munster not necessarily; broad <em>bh</em> and <em>mh</em> are pronounced like <em>v</em> in Munster, like <em>w</em> in Ulster; final <em>-igh</em> sounds like <em>-ig</em> in Munster, like <em>-í</em> in Ulster; in Munster short vowels are diphthongised before <em>nn</em>, <em>ll</em> or <em>m</em> (so <em>am</em> sounds like <em>aum</em>), etc., etc.); verbs are more inflected in Munster, while Ulster prefers analytical forms (<em>táim</em>, <em>táir</em> vs <em>tá mé</em>, <em>tá tú</em>); some words are different (<em>freisin</em>/<em>fosta</em>, <em>madra</em>/<em>madadh</em>, etc.).

October 22, 2015

We have some different ways of phrasing things. I'm from Munster so I'm not very familier with the Ulster dialect but other than phrasing they are almost the same

October 21, 2015

I have a question: How different is the Munster dialect to the Uslter dialect?

October 21, 2015