Elfin
Learning Article : How To Keep Your Fluency When Your Tutor Is Away

Discuss the Article : How To Keep Your Fluency When Your Tutor Is Away

<a href='/article/573/how-to-keep-your-fluency-when-your-tutor-is-away' target='_blank'>How To Keep Your Fluency When Your Tutor Is Away</a>

So, you have been working hard to maintain your speaking level in your target language and suddenly you find out that your tutor is going on vacation! Oh no! What can you do? Just have a look at this article and learn some useful ways to maintain your fluency even when you can't practice with your favorite tutor.

Oct 26, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 23

<em>"Everybody hates their voice"</em> 

- <em>"What I really encourage you to do, no matter how much you hate your voice, is to make that recording."</em>

<em>
</em>

In my experience, it REALLY helps. I used to feel uncomfortable to hear my voice but I kept making recordings. A few weeks later it sounded OK to me and even started to enjoy it.

It is just matter of time and habit.

October 26, 2015

@Aegis, of course this does not apply to  learners capable of doing self-study.

However, most students create a bond with their teacher and start to identify  language learning, with lesson time.

I am not saying I agree. 

As a tutor, it's unpleasant to have so much responsability placed on  my back.

As a language student, I have many things I like to do anyway.

Besides, language learning should be something we do with pleasure whenever we  have the time.

But the truth is, not everyone is as dedicated a language learner as you are.

Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment. :-)

July 6, 2016

Hi, I'm new on Itaky, an English apprentice.

I like the article and take note of usefull tips: the importance of spontaneous speech, about don't lose our horizon and keep learn by ourself, record and lisent our own voice and make a mental image of a situation and over all, search for constructive feedback.

I know the importance of practice with a native speaker, that is why I am here, that practice is crucial,  but is very important practice in many ways that we can alone. How Ms. Elfin wrote:

<em> "Speaking is often the reason why we study a language to start with. It's a complex and tricky skill as it sums up our linguistic capacities, our pronunciation, and our comfort level with using the language"</em>

<em>
</em>

For that reason I don't worry yet for "the right form of say" because we are not leanirng one English, there are many ways of speak it, depens of the region, urban tribe or purpose, I think for the beginner like me is very important is the quality of what I am saying, this text that I wrote was the opportunity for that.

Thanks for the tips, they will help me a lot.

November 19, 2015

Hi Crow, thanks for your comments !

About the describe the picture exercise, of course we are all different and it is not for everyone.

However, it's a useful skill.

I think you are right, when you are an independent learner, it's important not to acquire mistakes that can become ingrained.

That's why getting feedback, from language partners, or on forums, is so important. It's so much harder to get rid of some mistake, that we have become accustomed to.

Many are shy and  find it hard to go on Facebook groups/ Italki/language groups and ask for feedback, but  other learners, know what we are going through and  happy to help.

So my suggestion is to always doublecheck with  a native who is learning your language, for instance.

Hope this helps !

October 27, 2015
I was looking for this kind of information three days ago, so I'm happy this article came up on my italki dashboard. You couldn't say it better about hating our voices. Sometimes I feel it's embarrassing to listen to my records. Thank you for the useful tips.
January 11, 2017
Show more