Malcolm Goulding
I need to find a way to obtain a Skype ID

I am new to italki and I need to use Skype, but I am having difficulty getting an ID number to sign up with a tutor. The problem is in order to obtain an ID, Skpe want to send me an SMS text message, but I am on a landline which does not have this facility. So I am locked out and I have not been able to find a way through the maze of support on Skype to speak to them directly, either by e-mail or chat line. Can anyone help or am I being thick!!

Oct 27, 2015 3:26 PM
Comments · 3

Malcolm, You're not thick :)

October 27, 2015

Hello Malcolm.

I am not sure I understand this so forgive me if this does not help you in any way.  But I wish to give it a try.  Skype is a tool and is not related specifically to tutoring (although it could be used for the purpose).  I can have a Skype account to talk to my friends.  You download it install it, create a Skype account, and log in with the appropriate user name and password.  No SMS is required to create the account or download Skype.  There is an option when you create an account for SMS notifications, and the first SMS will also allow you to get Skype on a mobile, but it is not required at all.

Maybe you are referring to something different?

As about tutoring and italki teachers.  Does the issue have to do with arranging a lesson?

I am sure if you message a teacher they will be sure to guide you through the process.

Good luck.

October 27, 2015

I've never send any SMS to Skype. This is surprising.

Have you downloaded Skype? If so, have you been able to log in?

October 27, 2015