Nico
Why a language group is a bad idea

I'm seeing a whole lot of this lately where people want Skype/Whatsapp/etc "groups" to practice a language.  This is a bad idea for several reasons:

Bad Information

You're usually "practicing" with other people who may or may not be learning correctly.  You may want to learn American English yet the person you're practicing with has a tutor from South Africa.  This isn't helpful if you want to be understood fully in the United States.  They also may just flat out be giving you bad information and since both of you are learners, who is to say who is correct?

The group easily loses focus

Hanging out in groups is fun and it's good to socialize.  But if your objective is to actually learn a language, a group can hinder that.  I have seen too many groups get sidetracked onto talking about non-related topics, turn into a place where people are looking for dates, or just people who don't want to cover any advanced material more than what they are comfortable with.  The more people in the group, the more this becomes a problem.

Your fastest pace is the slowest learner in the group

Language learning has a lot to do with speed.  You want every hour you spend on the language to be as helpful and constructive as possible.  You may understand the concept but if someone in your group just "doesn't get it" then you're stuck there wasting your time.  Now you've stopped learning and are just listening to extra information.  Your time would better be spent reviewing your own material.

What to do about it?

If you're serious about learning a language then learn by yourself with the help of a teacher.  Study on your own and circle back with your teacher routinely to guide your learning and correct your mistakes.  Go to places where people speak the language and practice with them of course, but don't give up on self study because you need other people around.  Make friends on Skype or your program of choice with either native speakers or speakers with high proficiency -- not with other learners at your level.  Chit chat with them, but don't study with them.

Final thoughts

If you want a date, go find a date.  If you like sports, go to a sporting event.  But if you really want to learn a language, then get serious, understand that it will take hundreds and sometimes thousands of hours.  You will probably not get a raise at work and it will not help you change who you already are or escape a situation you're in.  There is no prize money for this accomplishment.  If you want a pay raise after studying, go get a PhD.  Learn the language for practical reasons or self-improvement.  Not for recognition.

Oct 27, 2015 9:55 PM
Comments · 68

I think it's good, Nico, that you're sharing with us why you feel language groups aren't the most ideal situation for learning. Bad language groups definitely do exist, but I also know people who have had positive experiences with them. So it's important to remember that your experiences do not necessarily define and should not invalidate other people's experiences.

I decided to bold that statement because, as I read other posts in this discussion, I noticed a recurring theme among your posts. It seems that you often feel your opinion is representative of the majority and everyone who disagrees is just an outlier. That could be true in some cases, but it's always best to never assume that.

For example, I would like to point out that, while you cannot imagine yourself translating texts and hosting a language group for free, I know plenty of people who would gladly do those things (myself included). No, we are not trust fund babies with loaded bank accounts. We just like learning languages and we want to use our knowledge to help others. We also are not part of a rare species of people. In fact, are you familiar with the website LyricsTranslate.com? It's a pretty neat place where people can post song lyrics and translate them. There are many, many people on there and most (if not all) of them do translations on their own volition and free of charge. Personally, I don't think translating is hard work for me, especially if it's between two languages I am totally fluent in. It definitely is harder and more painstaking if I am only moderately conversational in one of the languages and I am constantly looking things up in the dictionary.

What I like about discussion forums like the one here at iTalki is that we can all share our ideas and opinions with people. However, it's still important to be respectful of people who have different viewpoints from you and try to understand things from their perspectives.

November 7, 2015

Nico, you are so wrong. We have had an English group for over 2 years. Over 500 people have joined. About 30% of the members call-in regularly. We don't have to prove anything to you, because our method works for us.

October 28, 2015

I'd also add, if you want to try to convice others to covert to your religion, go to a prison or a brothel to help people. You will be amazed at the amount of English speakers who use italki as a means to teach others 'the truth and save them". I have a Chinese friend who met someone on this site who offered her free English lessons and he sent Bible study material to her. She told him that she was not interested in that topic and he told her that she would burn in hell. What an assistance with her English!

October 28, 2015

The guy from Russia is hilarious.  Something about people who are starving to death but spend time on Skype in groups learning languages.... but starving at the same time?  Got it.  "I'm starving and I'm having physical symptoms.  Haven't eaten in 3 days.  Guess I'll hop on Skype and do some video chat."

Anyways, Aegis, I've never been added to a group in Skype yet without my permission.  If they do, how you get out of the group without going through the manual process?

November 8, 2015

Can you open your eyes and understand that if they had enough money they would just find a native tutor in skype? Can you open your eyes and understand that the majority of Russians don't have enough money to regularly buy food and meat? Can you open your eyes and understand that there's Africa? Have ever talked with Iranians and Africans????????????

I do, man. I do talk to the Arficans. They tell me that there's the corpse in the forest for 3 days and nobody want to bury the man! They tell me that they don't no money for anything, man.

So, the next time you decide to write something like that, think about all those people.

The groups can be a really great solution for them, because they would get at least some exposure.

In the nutshell, they say that around 1 out of 4 people is seriously underfed in the world. Any methods to help you learn English are good. Nobody in Russia speaks good English, because nobody speaks English. Groups at least give you a chance to talk to somebody.

I don't know whether you give lessons, Nico, but I am sure that I would not want you as my tutor.

November 8, 2015
Show more