[Deleted]
I am working in Biotechnology and Nanotechnology and I want to know if you know something about it?

Do you know something about biotechnology and nanotechnology? I want to discuss about it!

Oct 30, 2015 9:20 PM
Comments · 20

I am a former research chemist, however that was before nanotechnology was developed.

After working as a chemist I became an occupational health and safety consultant and trainer.

After 25 of OHS work I had one brief encounter with a new nanotechnology research firm, however, after I described my concern regarding worker's exposure to nano particles and the potential (as yet unknown) adverse health effects, the CEO decided to ignore the health and safety concerns, and thus ended my consultation with that company.

Because the technology is new and still in the research stage, there is very little epidemiological data and information regarding the effects of exposure to nano particles.

Here are a few links that address the issue from a health and safety perspective (2014):

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/nanotech/

http://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2011/12/07/resp-nano/

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2014-106/pdfs/2014-106.pdf

I am sure that more current information is available.

You may want to do a Google Search using the search terms 'respiratory protection against airborne nanoparticles".

Please protect yourself against any potential hazards related to working with and exposure to nanoparticles.

November 27, 2015

Wow! ....

What are you working on at the moment, Mary? It is quite interesting !

Anything exciting we can look forward to?

November 11, 2015

Mary, you are a real teacher. Professor. Nobel prize waits you soon.

November 26, 2015

Ive been working with nanoparticles for remediation of oil in oil-water emulsions.

I did biopolymers to make biodegradable films, and in my master thesis I did a biosurfactant with acid lactic bacteria for enhanced oil recovery. 

You can look forward about biotechnology in petroleum industry or food industry. 

Nanotechnology has a lot of applications, like fabrics industry, medicine industry, and petroleum Industry. 

I like so much the petroleum industry! 

November 26, 2015

Hi everyone, I want to teach you something about Biotechnology and Nanotechnology. 

We can start about the definition: 

Biotechnology and nanotechnology are two of the 21st century’s most promising technologies. Nanotechnology is defined as the design, development and application of materials & devices whose least functional make up is on a nanometer scale (1000000 times smaller than 1 mm). Generally, nanotechnology deals with developing materials, devices, or other structures possessing at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nanometers. Meanwhile, Biotechnology deals with metabolic and other physiological processes of biological subjects including microorganisms for obtain a product. For example, in beer industry, we use yeast to convert sugars into alcohol and CO2.

Association of these two technologies, i.e. nanobiotechnology can play a vital role in developing and implementing many useful tools in the study of life.

Nanotechnology is very diverse, ranging from extensions of conventional device physics to completely new approaches based upon molecular self-assembly, from developing new materials with dimensions on the nanoscale to investigating whether we can directly control matters on/in the atomic scale/level. This idea entails the application of fields of science as diverse as surface science, organic chemistry, molecular biology, semiconductor physics, microfabrication for pc or medical applications, etc.

Guys what do you think about it? Do you know some products that use biotechnology or nanotechnology?

November 11, 2015
Show more