Christine
No more Cantonese Skype Group??

Hey guys, so for those who comment on my previous discussion, I might close the Cantonese group because no one actually talk or anything, and it is really hard for having people from different country with different time zones which might hard for everyone to have a really nice Cantonese learning chat or even have a Skype group call for the people who want to practise speaking Cantonese. Please notes that I'm not saying that I don't care the group or people who want to learn Cantonese anymore, but it is just so hard to operate the whole thing without people respond or anything. I still love you all and if you really do want to learn Cantonese, feel free to ask me about it. so for now, I will not add anyone in the group (sorry...)
hope you guys understand =(

Nov 1, 2015 11:32 PM
Comments · 4

I've never seen a successful group.  Doesn't mean they don't exist, but as I outlined in the other post, you pick up bad habits from other learners.  You don't know where they get their material from and so it could put you in a bad spot.

November 3, 2015

I wrote a post that refers specifically to this kind of problem

http://www.italki.com/discussion/104841

I practice Cantonese all the time, but I don't do it in groups because groups slow me down.

November 3, 2015

Hey Nico, I agree that group chats aren't a great place for intensive, individualised learning but I think that they can be useful as a kind of common interest group. Especially if you're learning a language like Cantonese with fewer learners around, it can be nice to connect with other learners around the world and share experiences and resources.

And actually, I think there is a lot to be gained from practicing with other learners. More advanced learners can often explain things a lot more easily than natives and I've found that explaining things to newer learners has helped me revise and solidify my own knowledge at times.

I think you just need to be clear what kind of group it is from the start and decide whether it is more of a general interest group or whether you want to make it more structured and have one person set topics and lead the discussion.

So yeah, I'm up for a Cantonese learners group, if anyone else is still interested?

November 3, 2015

Hey, I'm new here but maybe it would be better to have something more like a facebook group, so that people can leave messages and reply when they are online? That would probably be easier to organise but would still depend on people talking. Also, maybe some people aren't so willing to share their facebook details. What do you think?

November 3, 2015