Bell
What does the word "handsome" mean?

As far as I know, "handsome" is used to describe a man's appearance. But sometimes I see people use it to describe a woman. I don't understand much.

Can you help me explain this? Thanks ^^

Nov 7, 2015 1:36 AM
Comments · 14

It used to be a big complement to call a woman "handsome", and I'm basing that on books and movies that were written over 100 years ago. But the usage has changed, and now "handsome" is usually used for men and "beautiful" is usually used for women. Technically you can interchange these, but it's not advisable.

November 7, 2015

Handsome means well-built and beautiful, but in a more athletic than traditionally feminine (i.e. slender and delicate) way.

November 7, 2015

@Bell - <em>elegant</em> is probably what you're looking for. Beautiful, pretty, gorgeous, etc are also fine.

November 7, 2015

"Handsome" can be used to say that a woman is attractive, but not in a typically feminine way (as Sonja has pointed out). So, a woman who is attractive and has masculine traits. I'm not sure if your friends are using the word incorrectly or not, as I'd need to see who they're talking about! Still, it is unusual for someone to often describe women as "handsome".

November 7, 2015

guapo = handsome 

November 8, 2015
Show more