Dorothée
Is Iceland a country in depression? Synonyms for "sad"

Hi!

When I was looking for words to say happy and sad, I was surprised by the fact I found one word to say "happy" (hamingjusamur) and the number of synonyms I found for "sad" (dapur, hnugginn, hryggur, sorglegur, sorgmæddur)!!

Could you tell me the difference of use? Is it a degree of sadness or a question of context??

I found the same difference to say "good" (góður) and "bad" (lélegur, slæmur, vondur)... Or did I miss the positive synonyms?

Nov 8, 2015 11:28 AM
Comments · 4

For 'happy' there's also glaður, ánægður and probably more. There's an infinity of words that mean something very similar to 'good': flottur, fínn, indæll, gaman, ágætur etc.

November 9, 2015

Finished all those 2000 chars :)

But anyway, all those words might be translated to the same word in english but like I was referring to, it's all a matter of what situation you are in.

Enjoy!

February 3, 2016
The word you mentions as a translation for the english word "sad" can somewhat be contributed to different levels of emotional state.... The word "dapur" would for example be used when you ask someone "Why are you looking so down?"(Hvers vegna ertu svona dapur(masculine)?)

The word "hnugginn" is rarely used in modern Icelandic, you might read it in old texts or hear some elderly people say it. It would basically be used in the same situation as "dapur"

The word "hryggur" is something you become when you've lost something or someone that you cared about. But note two things, when you loose someone you love you will be way more than "hryggur". Please also note that if you use the word as a noun it will mean: "spine"(the series of vertebrae running from the back of your scull to the small of your back).

The word "sorglegur" is used in the same way as the sentence "Man! This guy's sad!" (in a mocking or negative way). So when someone is behaving in a way that is not considered normal by most people you say "Vá hvað þetta er sorglegur gaur!"

"Sorgmæddur" would be something a few levels above "hryggur". Someone is "sorgmæddur" when they have lost something/someone that's very dear to them.

THE POSITIVE PART :)

The word "hamingjusamur" means that joy is all around you. Words like "glaður", "kátur", "hýr" and "ánægður" can all contribute to the same emotional level but would not be used all on same occasions. Note that "hýr" is also used for someone who is homosexual and is rarely used in modern spoken Icelandic. 
Let's say for example, a carpenter is building something in your house and your are "Happy with it" ('It' referring to the progress) Then you use the word ánægður.. "Ég er ánægður með þetta"..... Let's say someone asks you how you are feeling. You won't reply by saying. "Ég er ánægður".. If you would, the person asking would immediately ask you "Happy with what extacly?"

February 3, 2016

Takk fyrir Arnar for your very detailed answer!!

Ég er ánægður finding people here on italki to be so kind explaining like you do! (even three months after I posted my question^^)

Bless!

February 10, 2016