Susana
Do you agree or disagree with this phrase? And why?

"There are two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it"

Nov 13, 2015 6:45 AM
Comments · 11

Once you get what you want, you start to get used to it, so your happiness returns to its regular level.  Also, you no longer have something to look forward to, and you may find it is not as good as you thought it would be.

Whether wanting or getting, you are serving your ego, and never finding contentment.  One must appreciate the moment.  This is what I have been learning recently from Taoism/Buddhism/mindfulness.  :)

March 5, 2016

A thoughtful saying, as is explained above.

Like any philosophical sayings, however, it can be both true and not true depending on how it is viewed.

Or, we might say there is no absolute truth in this world, outside of a conceptual framework like mathematics.

Anyway, this "getting" really has serious consequences - look at how this great planet is being trashed almost beyond repair now.

March 5, 2016

That's a philosophic one...

And I totally agree with it. After getting what you want you have to set another goal. Without any goals there is no real life, no striving, no dreams and no motivation. 

November 13, 2015

i think it means that if we don't look for what we wanna get it's kind of tragic because we are not as i just said looking for the things that we wanna get in life. in the other hand i don't think is a tragic getting it because when you complete something you have to keep looking for more.

March 5, 2016
@ Devin condensed the phrase beautifully. My take is that emptiness will always be present on most people. Whether you have too much or need it all, there´s always a savage desire on us. But what happens after taking it all  or leaving it all behind us? What happens to the urgent need to have or to have not? To get to the point; this void in our guts, we have never learned to satisfy; whether it be money, or a god, or music or science or mobile phones jejeje. I´d say confused is the better state of man.
March 5, 2016
Show more