Jon
What is the best way to begin learning Mandarin?

Asking both second language learners and native Mandarin Chinese speakers, do you think Pinyin is a good place to start learning Chinese?

For non natives: Did you start with pinyin or did you start with Chinese characters? Would you advise learning to read/write/speak at the same time, or would you advise working on speaking and listening before reading and writing?

For Natives: Will Pinyin be useful in China, or will Is it not commonly used?

Nov 16, 2015 4:07 AM
Comments · 10

I've been learning Chinese for many years and now speak it to upper-intermediate level. When I started the course spent the first 6 months not teaching us many characters, it was only after the first six months that we started catching up what we'd learnt with characters. I think this is the only way to avoid overload, though I'm sure many people disagree and would say to learn them from day 1. Remember to avoid "crutches" such as writing pinyin below characters you already know, as that just encourages your subconscious to be lazy!

One thing is beyond dispute, though: learn the tones and learn them thoroughly. When I started learning I very incorrectly assumed that tones aren't that important and that people can guess what you're saying even if you don't use tones. Of course at the time that was true, but only because I was saying such simple things: My name is..., I like..., On the weekend I usually..., etc. etc. Eventually, however, I found that as my Chinese got better and allowed me to express more complex thoughts, people were understanding me LESS and I had to go back and relearn a lot of very elementary vocab with the tones in.

Tones in Chinese will seem so incredibly difficult to you at first. Don't worry, there will come a time when they come naturally to you.

This website is full of great tips for anyone starting to learn Chinese: www.hackingchinese.com

November 16, 2015

hello jon,every chinese start with pinyin at kindergarten,it's like the fundament of the high building.Pinyin can help you pronounce new charaters and the guide you the correct tone.So I think it's very important for a new beginner

November 16, 2015

Hi Jon,

Only two places you may see pinyin in China, dictionary and text book for kindergarten and primary school kids. Otherwise, nothing is written in pinyin. Learning how to read pinyin won't help you in real life in China. If your objective is to learn how to speak, it's okay that you study only pinyin. If you want to read books and signs on the streets, you'd have to learn how to read and write Chinese characters. Hope this helps:)

November 23, 2015

Only using Pinyin is not good way to learn Chinese. Because Chinese characters aren't Pinyin.

You need learn from beginning level of Chinese.

You can speak some easy sentences of Chinese.

November 21, 2015

Learn a few standard phrases to keep your interest up.

Accept it might take 6 months carry out a very simple conversation.

Practice pinyin with  learning to differentiate between the sounds. It's like learning a new skill for your ears and mouth. So you need training. Be very patient because it is boring and you feel you are not really learning to communicate. However, the benefits really payoff later. YMMV but this is the approach I took - I accept it is not for everyone.

Once you have the basics of pronunciation and listening, that's when  you really start on communication and characters. If you have poor basics, you limit your learning potential. 

Kids learn pinyin but they have a headstart in listening and speaking skills.

November 16, 2015
Show more