Megumi@Ibaraki
How much are the Italian dialects are spoken?

I know people speak dialects different from region to region. But do young people still speak them? Do they all speak both their regional dialect and the standard Italian?

Nov 22, 2015 1:29 PM
Comments · 4

Thank you for anwering my question. I wonder if the switch from the dialect to the standard Italian is easy for most Italians. 

In Japan, some people esp. older generations find it a bit hard to speak the standard Japanese perfectly because of the inotation. Does the same thing happen in Italy? Like, when talking to someone in the standard Italian, and can you spot some unfamiliar phrases and pronuncations? 

November 23, 2015

Italian dialects are part of our culture, songs and traditions, of course, but sometimes young people still use dialect to emphasize some particular concepts, in order to give more "ironic or dramatic stresses" to the conversations. So, dialect and standard Italian can mix each other, always during informal moments.

Online you can find also some famous movie scenes dubbed in different dialects by young Italian people. So funny! The result is a brand new story!

November 22, 2015

Sometimes dialects are also considered nice and funny for example lots of faomous comedian used to talk with dialects in all thei career... Sometimes talk with dialects in a strong way it's also disturbing and some people forgot italian to talk too much with their dialects (My mum is a teacher, she needed to teach Italian to a guy from Sardinia, it is a rare rare case but still it could happen). 

November 22, 2015

Personally, when I'm in my ''comfort zone'' (with friends, at home,..) I use some dialect's expressions; obviously I talk in standard italian when I'm at university or in a work context. The answer is: it depends on the context :) 

November 22, 2015