Jmat
"Aanstellen" vs. "benoemen" - Does this example contradict my textbook's explanation?

I meant to make this a question, but I apparently can't ask more than two questions per day...

Anyway, here's what I wrote:

This is a quote from the book "Beyond the Dictionary in Dutch":
"An appointment to a job is an 'aanstelling' (verb 'aanstellen') 'or a 'benoeming' (verb 'benoemen'), e.g. 'Wie is door de minister aangesteld/benoemd?' - Who was appointed by the minister?, 'Hij is benoemd tot officier in de Order van Oranje Nassau' - He was appointed an officer in the Order of Orange Nassau. 'Aanstellen' has connotations of 'to employ', which is not the case with 'benoemen', e.g. 'een vaste aanstelling' - a tenured job, 'Daar is hij voor aangesteld' - That is what he's employed/paid for."

It seems to me that one of the examples contradicts the explanation. It says "'Aanstellen' has connotations of 'to employ', which is not the case with 'benoemen'", but if that's the case, wouldn't "aanstellen" be more appropriate (instead of "benoemen) in "Hij is benoemd tot officier in de Order van Oranje Nassau"?

Dank je wel.

Nov 22, 2015 2:44 PM
Comments · 3

As Souhaila says, the two can be used interchangably most of the time. There are subtle difference though, as your book says, which may give a preference for one of them (without necessarily making the other an invalid choice).

"Benoemen" might be used for somewhat higher ranking functions, especially for honorary titles. If the person won't get paid, 'benoemen' is better, unless it's charity work. If the King appoints someone, it's probably also "benoemen", in fact I think "benoemen" is suitable in Dutch when "appoint" is in English (and possibly in more cases). If someone else nominated you and you were chosen, you will be "benoemd".

Confusion may arise because an Officier in de Order van Oranje Nassau isn't an employee, it's an honorary title (or a group really) (I just found out myself, although you could maybe guess because it sounds fancy and royal). So then it makes sense given the above definition, right?

"Aanstellen" is more common for "normal" jobs. If you send an application and are accepted by a recruiter, maybe you're "aangesteld".

There's a rather large gray area in the middle as you'll notice. Often in those cases you can choose.

November 23, 2015

You can use both words. Because it has the same definition. 

Aanduiden, aanstellen, benoemen are "Synoniemen" (synonyms).

They're different words, but they all have the same meaning. 

November 22, 2015

Dank jullie beide wel!

November 24, 2015