Mark
Is hanging up during (phone) arguments acceptable?

If you're arguing with someone on the phone (about something not too personal, like politics) and you get frustrated, is it acceptable in your culture to hang up? Will that be seen as rude if you do? Will it be seen as 'losing' the argument? What about walking away in real life?

Nov 24, 2015 8:20 PM
Comments · 15

It's unacceptable in my culture, but I had to do it once because the one on the other side didn't want to stop talking and she gave me a headache, I asked her nicely to finish the phone call but she kept talking, so I had no choice.

November 24, 2015

If somebody hangs up while I'm talking, The person will be out of my contacts list. 

November 25, 2015

It is definitely rude.  You have to follow a certain decorum regardless of how angry or frustrated you

are. 

November 25, 2015

Thanks for the responses so far! Is it different in other places? I know some cultures avoid discussions more than others...

@Camilo: well if an argument gets frustrating, it could be either me or the other person who is a fool without acceptable points of view :) Or we just feel strongly about the topic.

November 24, 2015

Not at all. That means you are not willing to waste time arguing with a fool (only fools would turn a debate into this situation). I would hung up not because I got frustrated but because the other person did not give acceptable points of view.

November 24, 2015
Show more