Amelia Leonhart
The reason people decide to learn a foreign language.

I am just wondering about the many reasons why a person would take on learning another language. For me, my first foreign language was required in school so I had to learn it. But evetually I learned to love my new second language. Then for my third language it came out of cuirosty for a country I knew nothing about that turned into a genuine love for another culture. 

So what are your reasons?

Nov 26, 2015 6:03 AM
Comments · 7

I learned a bunch in school (Dutch, English, French, German) because I had to. I dropped French and German as soon as I could and I skipped Greek, Latin and Spanish entirely. I forgot most of French, though German is sometimes a little useful.

I started learning Chinese because I went to study there. I enjoy it now, much more than I've enjoyed being forced to learn the other languages at school. It's fun, but it's not as much fun as other activities, so I will be content if I won't need to learn another language after Chinese.

Sorry, I'm not as motivated as most people here, it seems!

November 26, 2015

I always liked the idea of being able to speak and understand foreign languages. Every language opens a whole new world, plus I hate not being able to understand things, I wish I could just know all the languages on Earth.

November 26, 2015

I learned the first one because I was told to by the grown ups and the second because it looked good on a CV.

After that, I realized I enjoy the process and the benefits, so I kept learning.

November 26, 2015

The knowledge opens us our minds.
How much languages you know, more and more you understand the world and its origins.

We are political people since we know the word. 

November 26, 2015

I'm learning Finnish simply because I like their language and I find it interesting, the same goes for German. 

November 26, 2015
Show more