Vanessa Spanish Peru
Professional Teacher
This question is for people who make notebook corrections on italki

I’ve noticed that when the entry has few lines it has more corrections but when it is long, it does not have many.

What makes you correct an entry? (It is the first thing that appears, you have an interest in the subject, it has several mistakes, etc.)

Nov 28, 2015 5:08 PM
Comments · 19

Actually Vanessa, long entries are my favorites :)

I don't mind any topic for the entry I'm correcting, no matter how long it is, as long as it doesn't include bad/ swearing words, in this case I won't touch it!

I would correct an entry that was corrected before if the corrections were not right or complete.

November 28, 2015

I want to point out something.  There are many people who are far away from being fluent in English or French who correct entries.  They often add more mistakes to the original entry and as you nentioned, most of you don't read an entry when it has already been "corrected". I find this more of a way of sabotaging the work of the learner rather than being helpful. 

November 28, 2015

You're right that shorter entries get corrected more often than longer ones. The only notebook entry I ever posted was a short little paragraph about what I was doing, and it got correct 8 times. I didn't think it was possible, but it was.

With Mumtaz, I actually like long entries, but only if they have interesting topics and are not full of mistakes. For example, IELTS essays are great because the topics are usually general and those people know how to write in English.

As with Mark, I never correct entries that have already been corrected. There are so many entries in English that many get lost, so I like to give at least some attention to people that got ignored a few days ago.

November 28, 2015

Well, I don't think this is how I should do it ideally, but this is how it goes in reality:

If it's very long I get a bit discouraged. If I can barely understand what the person is trying to say I also get discouraged...

I'm more motivated to offer suggestions if the topic is interesting, the title is relevant (not "please help me") and the writing style is interesting.

November 28, 2015

I like correcting shorter writing more. I need not to make any careless mistakes because even one small one might get a writer in big trouble, so I take at least 15 to 20 minutes to correct just one pharagraph of writing, check it and post it. I would correct longer writing if I had more time. I don't dare to correct a part of writing.

November 29, 2015
Show more