Dili
Share a tradition of your country!

Hey friends! I thought it would be funny and interesting if everyone practice english sharing a bit of their cultures.

I am from Venezuela. One of the tradition of my country is ask our older-generation family for a "blessing" as a way of greeting. Parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, we always say to them "HOLA BENDICIÓN" when we meet. And their answer always is "DIOS LO BENDIGA" (God bless you). That tradition is already a custom and one of the ways to give love between us, it already becomes an unconscious act. The venezuelan family is a very close family, and every situation is taken to make a familiar meeting and have some fun!

And you? Tell us one of the traditions of your country! :)

Nov 29, 2015 3:43 AM
Comments · 4

One of the very beautiful tradition in our country is that , we celebrate the longest night in the year which is called Yalda`s night.And all (most) of our relatives  go to our grounparents` house( in Iran that`s kind of a respect to our old people like our grandparents or parents)

And we celebrate it with eating cookies , waterlemons ,pomegranates.And we read some poems of one of our famus poets called Hafez.And we have a lot of fun.And then we eat some delicious Iranian food.)

Yeahhhh that`s how we celebrate ( Yalda`s night or) the longest night in the year 

November 29, 2015

In most of India,

When we meet our elders we touch their feet as a sign of respect, for which they give us their blessings.

This is called Pranam.

It is done in Most of india. Not in all of India, India is very diverse so the traditions are different everywhere.

We have different communities here and not all of them follow this tradition. So please don't be confused.

November 29, 2015

That`s quite common in Brasil as well. I mean, if you are over 20 you are more likely to do that ... younger people have a lack of respect towards elderly onles but I think it`s not only in my country.

You know something I love in Venezuela?! That sort of candy you make using bananas and wraping in the dry leaves. I`ve never been to Venezuela but a friend of mine (Venezuelan) brought it to me a few months ago =)

November 29, 2015
In Canada, it's common for people to take off their shoes before entering a home.  In the case of an apartment, shoes must be left outside, in the hallway.  The reason is practical; Canada suffers through cold and snow for several months each year.. Imagine how dirty your house would be if everyone walked in with boots caked in slush (wet, dirty snow).  The other reason is that Canadians often have carpeting in their homes.  As you can imagine, dirty shoes, even from the summer, would make quite a mess.  So, to prevent messes, we take our shoes off outside and walk around in socked feet.
November 29, 2015