David
What other Philippine languages do you speak or want to learn?

According to Ethnologue, there are 188 languages in the Philippine language family but only Tagalog/Filipino and Cebuano are offered here on italki. In addition to these two, what others do you speak or want to learn, maybe even from one of our members here?

I lived in the Philippines as a volunteer for almost two years, which I spent entirely in Iloilo Province and on the island of Guimaras. Because of this, I can speak Tagalog, Hiligaynon/Ilonggo and Kinaray-a, though I'm better at Hiligaynon because I used it the most.

How about you?

http://www.ethnologue.com/subgroups/philippine ;

Nov 30, 2015 5:14 AM
Comments · 19

I'd like to learn Cebuano and/or Chavacano. I had a friend in college who is from Zamboanga and he helped me start learning Chavacano. Apart from that, the fact that Chavacano is a Spanish creole makes it fascinating to me. I'm more curious about the Tagalog-influenced Chavacano though.

I'm interested in learning Cebuano simply because it has the most number of L1 speakers.

In my major we are required to learn another Philippine language. As my professor puts it, as a Filipino you're missing out if you only know one language (well, except maybe if you're a part of an indigenous group) since the country is just so culturally and linguistically diverse. I'm inclined to agree with him. :)

February 5, 2016

I've always wanted to speak Ilocano, hearing my relatives speak it is really interesting. I've tried looking for resources before, like at National, Powerbooks etc, but I've only found 1 or 2 dictionaries and that's about it. 

December 22, 2015

I've never met anyone who speaks Chavacano but from what I've read, it sounds really interesting. Mostly, I wonder why it sounds so much more like Spanish than any other langauge in the country, given that all of them use Spanish words.

December 3, 2015

Hi there!

Philippines has a lot of dialects. Each island has its own. I am a Filipina-Chinese who currently lives in the Southern part of the country. I speak Cebuano and I wanted to learn Chavacano; Chavacano is a Spanish-based creole language spoken in Zamboanga City. 

December 3, 2015

Interesting Discussions. anyway i know how to speak ilocano.

Example of ilocano: kayat ko mangan ti cheese burger ken french fries. Nagimasen!

October 27, 2016
Show more